Love Theme YKTTW Discussion
So your favorite couple is in the middle of a deeply romantic scene. The camera zooms, the lighting is perfect, and the music swells up. Chances are, the music playing is the couple's love theme. May also be designated as such in official soundtracks. This music can take on several forms, depending on the characters involved, the setting, and the story moment when it is played. If it plays over a deeply romantic scene like a Big Damn Kiss or a Grand Romantic Gesture, it's likely to be an epic, sweeping Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. However, it may also be a Tear Jerker if played over a breakup, a Last Kiss, or when one lover dies in the other's arms. Many themes end up as both a C Mo H and a Tear Jerker at some point. In musical theater, such a theme is likely to show up as Duet Bonding and then repeat instrumentally. Compare Dance of Romance and Duet Bonding. Subtrope of Leit Motif. Film (Animated)
- Disney movies do this a lot, often with the song being played in full once and then in instrumental snippets over other romantic scenes.
- The titular song from Beauty and the Beast
- "A Whole New World" from Aladdin
- Tangled's "I See the Light"
- Cinderella: "So This is Love", sung while Cinderella and Charming are having their Dance of Romance.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarves has Prince Charming sing "One Song" to Snow White.
- "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from TheLionKing.
- Titanic has the famous "My Heart Will Go On" love theme.
- Star Wars:
- Top Gun has Berlin's "Take My Breath Away".
- The Trope Codifier is possibly "Theme from A Summer Place" aka "Love Theme [A Summer Place]," which holds the record as the longest-lasting instrumental #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- The Godfather has "Speak Softly Love (Love Theme from The Godfather)"
- The Barbra Streisand remake of A Star Is Born had "Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star is Born)", which also doubled as an Award Bait Song (it won).
- Doctor Zhivago had the iconic "Somewhere My Love (Love Theme from Dr. Zhivago)"
- Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo has an iconic surging love theme as part of the orchestral score by Bernard Hermann.
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Close Your Eyes" is Buffy and Angel's theme, and one of the themes that manages to be epically romantic and utterly heartbreaking at various points in the series.
- Although only heard once in its entirety, fragments of "Jack's Love Theme" from Torchwood appear in other romantic scenes, notably Jack/Ianto ones.
- From the same series, "Gwen and Rhys".
- Fringe's Peter and Olivia have variation on "Love in the Time of Crossing Over". The central fragment also resurfaces in Season 4's "Together Again For the Very First Time."
- Several of the couples on Downton Abbey have their own themes, most notably "Such Good Luck" for Matthew and Mary and "Emancipation" for Tom and Sybil.
- "Emancipation" becomes an immense Tear Jerker, as it is later used after Sybil's death to underscore scenes with their daughter.
- On Doctor Who, "Rose's Theme" later doubles as the theme for Rose and the love theme for her and the Doctor.
- Amy and Rory have their own eponymous track as well.
- Merlin gives us "Gwen and Arthur" as a recurring motif for the future King and Queen's love story.
- Let's not forget Tchaikovsky's iconic love theme, Romeo & Juliet, used in many works as a Standard Snippet.
- The Disney version of Aida, "Elaborate Lives" serves as Radames and Aida's love theme. It recurs as a Dark Reprise near the end when they're dying in the tomb.
- Les MisÚrables has "A Heart Full of Love", which Marius and Cosette sing to each other upon meeting and which pops up sporadically in their later scenes.
- The Phantom of the Opera's "All I Ask of You" between Raoul and Christine, with a reprise later by the Phantom.
- Dragon Age:
- Mass Effect has one for each game:
- Final Fantasy X: "Suteki Da Ne" plays as Tidus and Yuna find comfort in each other after several world-shattering revelations.
- The aptly-named "Theme of Love" from Final Fantasy IV plays during scenes between Cecil and Rosa, the Official Couple.
- Skyward Sword has Romance In The Air, when Link and Zelda first talk.
- Fire Emblem Awakening: When two characters reach S level support (marriage) either "Id~Serenity" plays if the Avatar is one of them or "Ha, ha! Yes, it will take some getting used to" if between other characters.