When the shadings used in grayscale pictures are too light or dark for the characters colors.
Yo're looking at a series and it's in monochrome. You can still probably guess the colors of the characters, right? But when you look at the officially colored works that character with dark hair tones apparently is a brunette or maybe that one girl looks like she has blonde hair when apparently she's really a brunette.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Pokemon Special occasionally suffer from this. Black and White have their game counterparts hair colors, though White's is somewhat lighter than the brunette Hilda. However their shading in the manga is a dark shade used for the raven haired characters like Gold or Ruby.
- Wandering Son used to feature this in the first four volumes. Characters like Takatsuki and the Nitori siblings parents all had brown hair in colored work but their shading implied black. Eventually they were retconned into having black hair. It was extremely common for fans to draw Nitori and Makoto as blondes until the anime came out, despite the fact the manga averts mukokuseki.
- Junichirou's hair from Boku to Boku is a light shade of black but his shading suggests a much lighter tone. Similarly another character has bright red hair when their shading implies a darker tone.
- Naruto has Karin, who is a bright redhead, but whose hair is depicted as black in the manga.
- Triela is a Dark Skinned Blond in Gunslinger Girl but her skin wasn't shaded dark enough for much of the run so she often looked just barely darker than the other characters, if not as light. Eventually it was cleared up though if anything her skin tone looks darker than in colored artwork.
- One Piece makes very little use of grayscale shading, so all hair is depicted as white or black. White is used for blonde, red-head, green, and blue, while black is used for dark red, brown, dark blue, and black.
- Harpo Marx's hair went from very dark to very light (practically white) during his B&W film career, but it was always supposed to be red - and it was red in live appearances.
- Donald Duck's blue sailor suit is often painted black on old comic books.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable