"Oh, so you're from troperville? I'm going there next month, how is it?" "Hell on Earth." When a character for whatever reason hates the place they grew up or were raised in. Maybe the people were jerks, maybe they disagreed philosophically, maybe they didn't like the smell. Whatever the reason, before or over the course of story they leave it, either to protect the townspeople's sorry asses or to get revenge, or because they were kicked out. Small Town Boredom is a Sister Trope- this has a far more negative emotion involved and is often at a larger scale. Examples:
- Lelouch to the Brittanian empire.
- Anakin Skywalker to Tatooine. His son was just bored, but then he wasn't a slave and possibly didn't hate the sand.
- Homer Simpson has sometimes expressed this feeling about Springfield.
- "A Star is Torn"
Homer: You [Lisa] and I are gonna write and sing our way out of this godforsaken hellhole.Marge: But your song said you liked Springfield.Homer: I wrote it about Shelbyville then changed the names.
- Cody Maverick from Surf's Up: "Good-old Shriverpool. *razz* This place sucks, bro!"
- Billy Candle from Call of Juarez hates his hometown (as well as everything from his crappy childhood, except his mother), but has to return to it in the beginning of the first game.
- In Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, Keiss, upon visiting his home, reluctantly says "home sweet home... I guess." He's not on good terms with the local leader.
- Truth in Television
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.