Same Clothes, Different Year YKTTW Discussion
|Same Clothes, Different Year|
Needs a Better Title. An extension of Limited Wardrobe. This is when a character flashes back to their childhood (or even just their "younger days"), or the show shows a scene from the character's future, and they're wearing the exact same (or almost exact) style of clothes that they wear in the present. Examples:
- The movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs opens with A Minor Kidroduction, showing the main character, Flint, wearing clothes that are similar to the ones he wears in the rest of the film (including gaining the spray-on shoes and lab coat that he wears from then on). Played straighter with young Brent, who wears the exact same kind of monogrammed tracksuit and flipflops that he does as an adult.
- When the 9 year olds on South Park flashback to when they were 3, they're wearing the same style parkas.
- Also invoked in the episode "My Future Self 'n' Me," where actors are hired to portray older versions of kids, usually wearing the same kind of clothes.
- Something*Positive has a few examples, like Davan's shirt with the red dot (though apparently he just has several of the shirt) and Aubrey and her choker-and-blouse outfits.
- The cast of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo are wearing little kid sized versions of what the teen cast of the original Scooby-Doo wear.
- Not only did Dexter from Dexter'sLaboratory have an entire wardrobe filled with black boots, lab coats, and purple gloves, it was shown in the Made-for-TV-Movie original series finale Ego Trip that he would continue to wear this attire for the rest of his life.
- In Hidamari Sketch, Yuno's parents show a photo of her from kindergarten and she has the same crisscrossed Bobby pins in her hair.
- In Half Baked when Thurgood has a Flash Back to the first time he and his friends got high (many years ago), they are all dressed in the same style as in the present day.
- Subverted in Totally Spies!: When Jerry was younger, he wore loud shirts and a ginormous afro, whereas these days he's always in a suit.
- During the song "Little Brothers" from Phineas and Ferb, Candace flashes back to her younger days and is wearing the exact same outfit.