Most human cultures have a dress code. In a World in which the dresscode includes the Nice Hat as a sign of maturity and badassery, it can quickly become a World of Hats, in which many if not all characters wear a Nice Hat to make them more badass. Truth in Television for many periods and cultures such as The Roaring Twenties. This trope is usually invoked only for men. The Femme Fatale often also wears a Nice Hat to appear more mysterious and subversive. A signature element of Film Noir, which is a World of Fedora. Not to be confused with Planet of Hats. A literal Planet of Hats is a World Of Hats IN SPACE, as in the case of the Trope Namer, but not every Planet of Hats is a World Of Hats.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Adolf by Osamu Tezuka. Justified, as it plays during and after the Nazi era.
- One Piece with Loads and Loads of Characters wearing a Nice Hat.
- Entire American film genres like Film Noir and Detective Dramas, and many films that play during the time from 1920-1950 made use of this.
- Country music as a whole is a World Of Hats.
- Many religious elites during their meetings. The Vatican loves Nice Hats.
- During wars, for protection.
- As Rule of Cool during military parades.
- Most role-play games, either as Rule of Cool or as protective device.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.