How Did We Miss This One?
? I just scrolled through the entire Pregnancy Tropes
listing and found nothing matching this trope.
A couple has had sex, maybe even their first time, consummating the relationship. They enjoyed it. There was afterglow. In the heat of the moment, nobody considered condoms or birth control. Or maybe they did but were in a bit of a hurry.
Then the woman announces her period is late, or starts every morning greeting John
She tells the guy who -- in this trope -- is almost never happy or ready to deal with this revelation that he may be about to be a father. They worry, they fret -- separately or together -- about what to do, and whether to consider abortion, adoption, keeping the baby, and what it will mean for their relationship in any of these instances. They agonize over the implications and whether they're ready to be parents. Will they be good ones? All the what ifs!
Then there's a pregnancy test -- which comes up negative (or perhaps it was all some kind of huge misunderstanding). They are usually relieved, although there's sometimes a bittersweet melange of disappointment that there will be no unexpected blessed event.
If she's actually pregnant, it's not a scare; that's another trope altogether.
Up for Grabs
- Several years ago there was a series of ads for pregnancy tests which had three sets of couples:
- couple who want a baby and she's pregnant: YAY!
- couple who want a baby and she's not pregnant: AWW!
- couple who don't want a baby and she's not pregnant: WHEW!
- The "couple who don't want a baby and she is pregnant" version was never included in the ad.
- Misfits: Seth finds a used pregnancy test -- positive -- and freaks out because he thinks he's gotten Kelly pregnant. He hasn't. Curtis has gotten his other-sex-self pregnant.
- Used on Switch (a short-lived sitcom in which husband and wife swap bodies); after something over a month, the husband in the wife's body has not yet had a period, and they worry that he's pregnant. He goes to the gynecologist's office and hears all sorts of horror stories about how painful giving birth is. Turns out he's just overstressed, which causes irregular periods.
- In SLiDE, Eva thinks she's pregnant from her one night stand with married man.
- This happened to Drew and Kate on The Drew Carey Show.
- Also happened on Degrassi: The Next Generation between Emma and Sean.
- Barney and Robin in How I Met Your Mother. ((Edit correction will be made when the trope launches)).
- On Gilmore Girls, Lorelai has a sudden craving for fresh fruit which hadn't happened since she was pregnant with Rory. She starts to think she might be pregnant by Luke but later finds out she is not. He never finds out about the scare.
- In Grease, Rizzo and Kenickie's pregnancy scare is a major subplot.