In a LOT of media, clowns evoke a sense of fear or dread in certain characters (e.g. Monster Clown). Of course, media being what it is, this means that the fear of such people or beings leads to a very large amount of over-dramatizing. This CAN be subverted, but expect in a kid's show the dumbest strong guy to fear clowns; in adult shows, it can either be the dumb person or the straight man. Truth in Television as the Other Wiki discusses children frequently fear clown-type decorations in doctor offices and hospitals. It's implied that it might be tied into the Uncanny Valley.
- Poltergeist. Robbie Freeling is afraid of a clown doll in his room. His fear turns out to be justified, as the ghosts haunting the home later animate it and use it to try to strangle him.
- The kid in Problem Child is afraid of clowns if I remember correctly.
- In Zombieland, Columbus is afraid of clowns. At the end, a zombie clown stands between him and saving the girls. He Drops the Hammer and saves the day.
- Coulrophobia is a short story about a shut-in who has nightmares about an abandoned circus. It involves a Monster Clown.
- Part of the initial creepiness of the circus in Something Wicked This Way Comes. (It gets worse.)
- The Mentalist. In the episode "18-5-4" the Victim of the Week was scared of clowns, and his killer dressed as a clown while killing him.
- Alan Shore from Boston Legal suffers from both night terrors and a fear of clowns.
- On Bones Booth was scared of clowns; it didn't come up much, and after he came out of a coma he discovered he's no longer afraid of them.
- B.C. strip for November 7th 2013. The Adder (Snake) complains about the Fat Broad beating him with her club. The Apteryx advises him to dress up as something she doesn't fear. The Adder dresses up in a clown outfit and she clobbers him anyway, making it clear that she fears clowns.
- Nathan Drake of the Uncharted franchise claims to be afraid of clowns when asked what his "fear scale" looks like. Clowns are 10/10.
- The Simpsons episode "Lisa's First Word". After spending the night in a frightening Krusty the Clown style bed, Bart is found curled up in a fetal position.
Bart: Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
- In Rugrats Chuckie (and his father's) fear of clowns was a Running Gag.
- Billy And Mandy.
Billy: ""Ya gotta believe me Mandy. The clowns are nothin' but ultimate evil. They want to be the dominant species on the planet and they will destroy us all to make it happen. DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL!..."
- Wakko Warner and Thaddeus Plotz of Animaniacs are revealed to be terrified of clowns in one episode. Hilarity Ensues when Plotz sends a clown over to the Warners for Wakko's birthday, only learning afterwards that Wakko is afraid of clowns.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.