Do We Have This One?
, Do We Need This One
, Needs More Examples
In Real Life
, pregnancy is a debilitating or even incapacitating condition marked by inconvenient swelling and tenderness of various random body parts, severe nausea and vomiting
, and occasional incontinence
In action shows, pregnancy is an excuse for a character to take a level in badass
in preparation for becoming a Mama Bear
. Pregnant Action Girls
will not be slowed down in the least by their condition, and in fact often fight more aggressively and therefore kick more ass.
- Gwen Cooper in Torchwood: Children of Earth.
- Mara Jade in the New Jedi Order books, compounded by her also having a debilitating disease for part of the series yet still managing to kick massive amounts of ass.
- Rene Russo's character in Lethal Weapon 4.
- Madeline Pairis-Frost on Honorable Hogwarts.
- I dunno if this counts, but the female player character in many Harvest Moon games isn't slowed down whatsoever by being pregnant, and is capable of doing everything from debilitatingly exhausting farm work to riding horses to mining with no ill effects. Some of the things the different husbands say during their pregnancy even lampshades this, to the effect of "If working hard on the farm like this doesn't make you sick, nothing will."
- Kazumi in The Order of the Stick.
- Metal Gear Solid: Olga. Also The Boss. Her water broke in battle and she gave herself a Caesarean.
- Xena in Xena: Warrior Princess. Pregnant, but still managed to backflip and whatnot.
- Fruitful Yuki.
- Marge Gunderson in Fargo does a nicely realistic interpretation.
- Real Life: Mary Ann Patten. She was the Captain's wife and Team Mom of the clipper ship Neptune's Car. She had also studied navigation as(so she thought) a way to pass the time. When her husband was down with tuberculosis she took over the ship and sailed it round Cape Horn, while at the same time being The Caretaker to her husband. All the time being pregnant.
She was one pregnant badass.