The bane of arachnophobic gamers everywhere. You go through missions fighting varied hordes of enemies, until you're told a cave needs to be cleared, or a facility has been overrun by some Australia-grade wildlife. You're about to experience a Spider Cave. Despite the name it doesn't have to involve spiders, merely any sort of abnormally sized bug or insect. Spiders are just the most commonly used type. The common traits are:
- They have mostly melee attacks, sometimes poison based attacks.
- In shooters they tend to stay below line of sight, for easier ambushes and jump scares.
- They are fast and hard to hit, but go down fairly easily.
- They attack in huge numbers.
- They are very creepy.
- Lair Of The Blind Ones in Turok 2.
- In Diablo 2 there are some with actual spiders in Act 3. Act 2 has numerous ones featuring desert wildlife. Including one with Scarab Demons, who fit the trope name for a different reason.
- Fallout series
- Gaia Online zOMG's Hive World qualifies. It's an instance where a portal drops the players in a cave and wave after wave of enormous alien bugs attack and it only ends when everyone in the party dies.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.