Covert Group YKTTW Discussion
Group that acts under coverNeeds Examples Description Needs Help Already have? Better Name
Secrets and things done secretely are interesting. Thus, many fictional groups - both heroes and villains - act as covert groups - groups that act undercover and aren't known to many outsiders. Often, a Covert Group is engaged in controversial or outright illegal activity, as otherwise there would not be any reason for secrecy. In a Government Procedural, they also act in sensitive matters such as national security. Part of many a Conspiracy Theory, The Conspiracy and Government Conspiracy. Often employs Men In Black, No Such Agency, Unusually Uninteresting Name, Resignations Not Accepted, The Masquerade or the Covert Group with Mundane Front to keep itself undercover. Related to Government Agency of Fiction.
- The Livewires are a covert group of Badass Automatons.
- In X-Force, its team was portrayed as a covert group under the leadership of his character Pete Wisdom starting in 2000.
- Justice League of America: A covert ops group with technology-based powers working for the U.S. government tries to eliminate the world's superhumans.
- A secretive United States government agency known as "Division" has for years been recruiting young adult convicts by faking their deaths and forcing them to train as spies and assassins is a main plot point of Nikita.
- La Femme Nikita: Section One, where the main character works with.
- The Impossible Mission Force from MissionImpossible routinely takes on covert operations while shielding Washington from culpability. "Should you or any of your I.M. Force be captured or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions."
- The Avengers: Soviet spymaster Ivanov planted many undercover agents in Great Britain, where they wormed close to tactically important persons, ready to assassinate them on cue. This covert network was called "the House of Cards," because select playing cards would activate the moles. British Avengers John Steed, Emma Peele and Mike Gambit thwarted Ivanov and neutralized his moles.
- In Isaac Asimov's classic collection, I Robot, there is a covert group who sees the control given to the AIs as creating a Vichy Earth where humans are enslaved to machines. The machines should be able to predict and compensate for the discrepancies these small acts of sabotage produce, but they aren't.
- The Foxhound unit from The Last Days of FOXHOUND.