The Hero With A Thousand Faces
A comparison of various fantasy heroes written by Joseph Campbell. Help needed with entry (I only know so much about it, but we need this badly).
- Belly of the Whale - Itself named for the story of Jonah.
- The Dragon - In addition to naming it he speculated that it was a metaphor for the hero's struggle before finally confronting the Big Bad
- The Hero's Journey - Later refined by Christopher Vogler's "The Writer's Journey".
- Big Bad - Every journey needs one to drive the plot.
- Deity of Human Origin - Buddha, Jesus, and others become this after apotheosis.
- Eternal Recurrence - In many cosmologies the world is in cyclical decline and improvement.
- I Choose to Stay - The hero is tempted to but usually doesn't and instead brings the boon back to their people.
- Standard Hero Reward - The boon they find is often represented by a woman.
- Messianic Archetype
- The Underworld
- Vision Quest
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable