Created By: KZN02 on April 9, 2010
Do We Have This One??
Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well.
--The Shoveller, Mystery MenA subtrope of Improvised Weapon, shovels, like pickaxes, are used in excavating, but again, they can be deadly weapons.
- Chiri Kitsu of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei - in fact, one reading of her Punny Name is a reference to burying things.
- Mystery Men: and this trope is not complete without mention of The Shoveler. He hits people with shovels.
- Blazing Saddles: Taggart gets clobbered by a shovel-wielding Bart near the beginning of the movie.
Taggart: Wire the main office, and tell 'em I said [CLONG] OW!Jimmy: Tell them I said "Ow!" Gotcha.
- All Quiet on the Western Front is set in the trenches of WWI. Kat, Paul's mentor tells him not to use a knife during trench raids since they often get stuck; in the time it takes to kick the enemy hard enough to free the knife he'd be dead. He is told to instead use a sharpened entrenching tool between neck and shoulder: faster, cleaner and safer for him.
- In Home Alone, when the burglars finally catch Kevin, Old Man Murray saves him by beating them senseless with his snow shovel.
- In the first episode of Garth Marenghis Darkplace, Dr. Rick Dagless, M.D. euthanizes his former friend's disembodied head after he explodes, by hitting him with a shovel. This is viewed as highly unorthodox medical practice.
- At one point in Lisey's Story, Lisey uses a commemorative shovel of her late husband's as a weapon.
- Soldiers during WWI trench raids used what worked: knives and makeshift weapons over guns since they were much quieter. In particular sharpened entrenching tools could be swung with considerable force in cramped spaces. They were capable of killing instantly as opposed to the slow death of imperfect bayonet strikes.
- A certain polearm-class weapon in World of Warcraft is called "The Shoveler." No points for guessing its' model.
- No More Heroes: Holly Summers uses a shovel as a weapon.
- Team Fortress 2: the Soldier's melee weapon
- Brütal Legend: the Grave Digger units fight with these.
- zOMG: players can make the item "Shovel Blade" with the proper recipe, loot components, and gold.
- Xombie: Dirge's Weapon of Choice is not only useful against rogue zombies and robots, but also to salvage for spare parts to fix himself up.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable