When a plot point is unrealistic, but you go along with it, only to have it turn out that 'No, obviously that is not what happened – that would make no sense!'
Kyle: So then, who was responsible for 9-11?
Stan: What do you mean? A bunch of pissed off Muslims
Frank Hardly: Yeah, what are you, retarded?The Untwist, Xanatos Roulette, Outer Limits Twist, Mandatory Twist Ending and Ass Pull
- South Park Mystery of the Urinal Deuce. Cartman and Kyle spend all this time suspecting that there’s a government conspiracy behind 9/11. Finally at the end, turns out that, no, there was no conspiracy. It was a bunch of pissed-off Muslims.
- Richie Rich Van Dough, the villain, spends the whole movie trying to get at the fabled treasures supposedly inside the family vault, only to find out the vault is full of family heirlooms. When he demands to know where the money is, Ritchie’s dad says, 'In banks, where else? And the stock market, real estate...'
- Houseof Flying Daggers Mei is supposed to be the blind daughter of the Resistance Leader and crazy good at martial arts. It turns out that no, she doesn’t have magic bat-sonar, she can see just fine, and yes, the leader has a blind daughter, but she doesn't know martial arts – because she’s blind!
- Equilibrium The whole premise seems to be a lot of powerful and effective people decided it would be a great idea to give up all emotion and live life like zombie automatons. There were enough of these people that they managed to create a whole society of it. Turns out, no, the powerful people went, 'we should make everyone ELSE live like zombie automatons, that way they will do whatever we want them to. WE, on the other hand, will keep enjoying all the awesome things about feeling.'
- Talladega Nights Done in character when Ricky Bobby spends his life believing in his father's words 'if you’re not first, you’re last'. When he asks his dad about it later, the dad says 'Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth.'
- Blackadder In 'Nob and Nobility' Blackadder says that he’s going to Revolutionary France to rescue an aristocrat, says his touching farewells, then goes down to the kitchen for a cup of tea and says 'Of course we're not going to France! It's incredibly dangerous!'
- The Freshman Clark thinks that he's somehow accidentally engaged to a Mob Boss's daughter and that Carmine runs an underground club that serves endangered wildlife. Turns out, no, the daughter was just part of a scam to trick the FBI agents and the club just serves regular food to the patrons and tells them it's some endangered animal.
- For Richer or Poorer A real estate agent and his society wife pretend to be long-lost cousins of an Amish family so they can hide out from the IRS. They are, of course, hilariously bad at being Amish, and the family seems never to notice. Turns out, duh, they knew the whole time, they just figured 'why not, we need some extra hands for planting season anyway.'
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.