Toggle Random Buttons
Browse the Tropes
Ask the Tropers
Recent Page Type Changes
Ask The Tropers
You Know That Show...
Trope Launch Pad
Crime & Punishment
Music And Sound Effects
Characters As Device
Laws And Formulas
Truth And Lies
Truth In Television
Fate And Prophecy
You need to
to do this.
if you don't have an account
1 Days Left to Support a Troper-Created Project :
History YMMV / LegendsOfTheFall
Back To: YMMV / LegendsOfTheFall
25th Jan '16 5:12:33 AM
Is there an issue?
Send a Message
** The biggest one is whether or not Alfred loved Susannah. Or did he just see her as a trophy wife?
** Likewise does Susannah really love Tristan himself? Or is she only attracted to the wild and passionate nature of their relationship?
* DesignatedHero: Tristan. First of all, he has no problem making a pass at his brother's fiancée. Second of all, he has no problem using her for sex once his brother is dead - and then abandoning her when he feels like it. Tristan ruins a bunch of lives, which Alfred calls him out on towards the end.
* HarsherInHindsight: When Susannah meets Isabel II, she cheerfully says "we'll be sisters" - since she intends to marry Samuel. They do end up as sisters in law - [[spoiler: when Susannah is married to Alfred and unhappy, while Isabel II is married to Tristan - the one Susannah really loves]].
* HeReallyCanAct: A lot of critics noted that this was the role that cemented Brad Pitt's leading man status.
* HilariousInHindsight: Julia Ormond playing Brad Pitt's lover is very amusing if you've seen her in ''Film/TheCuriousCaseOfBenjaminButton'' where she plays [[spoiler: his daughter]].
* JerkassWoobie: Poor Alfred, who is eternally TheUnfavourite. Not to mention the poor guy also has to lose his baby brother, and [[spoiler: eventually his wife]] - all while being looked down on by his family.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodCharacter: Isabel II barely has any lines once she grows up. Her sole purpose is to provide Tristan with children and [[spoiler: die horribly so he can swear vengeance]].
* UnintentionallySympathetic: Susannah's ultimate fate is meant to be LaserGuidedKarma. But a combination of Tristan being a massive DesignatedHero and Julia Ormond making her quite TheWoobie leaves people sympathising with her more than the film intends them to.
* TheWoobie: Susannah loses everyone she cares about and ends up in an unhappy marriage. Take note of how happy she is when she first arrives on the ranch. [[spoiler: Then remember that she kills herself when she has no reason to live]].
This list shows the last 1 events of 1.