History Main / SemiDivine

5th Dec '17 10:32:56 AM creader
Is there an issue? Send a Message


-->--Maui, [[IAmSong "You're Welcome"]], ''Disney/{{Moana}}''

to:

-->--Maui, -->-- '''Maui''', [[IAmSong "You're Welcome"]], ''Disney/{{Moana}}''
30th Oct '17 4:53:43 AM creader
Is there an issue? Send a Message





[[folder:Anime and Manga]]

to:

[[folder:Anime and & Manga]]



[[folder:Films -- Animation]]
* Genie in the ''Disney/{{Aladdin}}'' sequels and series. After being freed, he has gone from having "phenomenal cosmic powers" to "semi-phenomenal nearly-cosmic powers".
* In Disney's ''Disney/{{Hercules}}'', the title character is this trope. Unlike in Greek Mythology, he was ''born'' a full-fledged god to Zeus and Hera, then Hades's minions remove most of his godhood with a potion, just leaving him with SuperStrength (due to not drinking the last drop). In the series, he was regularly referred to as a demigod, and we met several others.
* Maui in ''Disney/{{Moana}}'' is a Disney depiction of a mythic figure common in a vast number of real-life Polynesian mythologies. While real-life depictions range from mere human to full-on divinity, this movie's depiction settles for the middle of the road and explicitly calls Maui a demigod. In this version, he was not born SemiDivine, but was abandoned to the ocean by AbusiveParents who didn't want him. Well, the Gods weren't gonna have any of ''that'', so they took him in and [[TouchedByVorlons made him Maui]], Demigod of the Wind and Seas (and a Shapeshifter who eventually becomes a Hero to All).
[[/folder]]



* Genie in the ''Disney/{{Aladdin}}'' sequels and series. After being freed, he has gone from having "phenomenal cosmic powers" to "semi-phenomenal nearly-cosmic powers".



* In Disney's ''Disney/{{Hercules}}'', the title character is this trope. Unlike in Greek Mythology, he was ''born'' a full-fledged god to Zeus and Hera, then Hades's minions remove most of his godhood with a potion, just leaving him with SuperStrength (due to not drinking the last drop). In the series, he was regularly referred to as a demigod, and we met several others.



* Maui in ''Disney/{{Moana}}'' is a Disney depiction of a mythic figure common in a vast number of real-life Polynesian mythologies. While real-life depictions range from mere human to full-on divinity, this movie's depiction settles for the middle of the road and explicitly calls Maui a demigod. In this version, he was not born SemiDivine, but was abandoned to the ocean by AbusiveParents who didn't want him. Well, the Gods weren't gonna have any of ''that'', so they took him in and [[TouchedByVorlons made him Maui]], Demigod of the Wind and Seas (and a Shapeshifter who eventually becomes a Hero to All).
29th Oct '17 5:30:18 PM Anura
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* [[UrExample The original]] demigod, [[Literature/TheEpicOfGilgamesh Gilgamesh]] himself, was actually ''[[UnevenHybrid two-thirds]]'' god. How that worked is anybody's guess.[[note]]Only if that is by lineage. By genetics it is simple, the DNA he herited from his demi-god father was 33.3% human and 16.7% divine. Combined with the 50% divine DNA he got from his mother, that makes him 66.7% god and 33.3# human[[/note]]

to:

* [[UrExample The original]] demigod, [[Literature/TheEpicOfGilgamesh Gilgamesh]] himself, was actually ''[[UnevenHybrid two-thirds]]'' god. How god, thanks to having three parents (two gods, one mortal; the Mesopotamians thought that worked is anybody's guess.[[note]]Only if that is by lineage. By genetics multiple fathers could contribute to a child). Or it is simple, the DNA he herited from his demi-god father was 33.3% human and 16.7% divine. Combined with the 50% divine DNA he got from his mother, that makes might just have been a poetic way of calling him 66.7% "more god and 33.3# human[[/note]]than man" without making him fully divine.
5th Oct '17 9:28:51 AM Godzillawolf
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

** In a sense ''all of life itself'' is this. [[BigGood Fauna]] [[TopGod Luster]] is called the Mother of All Things because She gives birth to ''all'' souls. One side story even has all mortal life referred to as the half siblings of the Alicorns for this reason. This may explain how mortals have the potential to [[DeityOfHumanOrigin become gods]].
5th Oct '17 9:23:49 AM Godzillawolf
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

** Another one is know to ''exist'' but has not been touched upon in detail: Galaxia, Celestia's sister, sired a family during her time in the mortal world, which is where Blueblood and Cadence's bloodline comes from, which technically makes Blueblood this trope, albeit ''incredibly'' diluted.
5th Oct '17 9:16:22 AM Godzillawolf
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** Cupid was the child of the LoveGoddess Venus and her husband, a mortal pony named Mars. Cupid was also the Concept of Sharing Love and showcases a unique trait of a Demi-God: the ability to move freely between the mortal plain and the spirit realm, something Fluttercruel is unaware of (probably because unlike her, Cupid's mother was an active part of her life). Unfortunately, Cupid was killed using the [[WeaponOfMassDestruction Concept Killing Spear]] and [[RetGone erased from existence along with his Concept.]] [[spoiler:Eventually a mortal named Lovestruck, who is his twice removed {{Reincarnation}} due to the Lost Age, merges with Cupid's Shadow of Existence, inheriting his Demi-God nature and reconstituting his Concept.]] Another benefit of Demi-Gods is also revealed here: they aren't ''as'' powerful as full deities, but can freely use their full power [[ICannotSenseTheirPresence without being detected by those who can sense the divine]] because their mortal half shields their divine half.

to:

** Cupid was the child of the LoveGoddess Venus and her husband, a mortal pony named Mars. Cupid was also the Concept of Sharing Love and showcases a unique trait of a Demi-God: the ability to move freely between the mortal plain and the spirit realm, something Fluttercruel is unaware of (probably because unlike her, Cupid's mother was an active part of her life). Unfortunately, Cupid was killed using the [[WeaponOfMassDestruction Concept Killing Spear]] and [[RetGone erased from existence along with his Concept.]] [[spoiler:Eventually a mortal named Lovestruck, who is his twice removed {{Reincarnation}} due to the Lost Age, merges with Cupid's Shadow of Existence, inheriting his Demi-God nature and reconstituting his Concept.]] Another benefit of Demi-Gods is also revealed here: they aren't ''as'' powerful as full deities, but can freely use their full power [[ICannotSenseTheirPresence [[ICantSenseTheirPresence without being detected by those who can sense the divine]] because their mortal half shields their divine half.
5th Oct '17 9:15:05 AM Godzillawolf
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** Cupid was the child of the LoveGoddess Venus and her husband, a mortal pony named Mars. Cupid was also the Concept of Sharing Love and showcases a unique trait of a Demi-God: the ability to move freely between the mortal plain and the spirit realm, something Fluttercruel is unaware of (probably because unlike her, Cupid's mother was an active part of her life). Unfortunately, Cupid was killed using the [[WeaponOfMassDestruction Concept Killing Spear]] and [[RetGone erased from existence along with his Concept.]] [[spoiler:Eventually a mortal named Lovestruck, who is his twice removed {{Reincarnation}} due to the Lost Age, merges with Cupid's Shadow of Existence, inheriting his Demi-God nature and reconstituting his Concept.]]

to:

** Cupid was the child of the LoveGoddess Venus and her husband, a mortal pony named Mars. Cupid was also the Concept of Sharing Love and showcases a unique trait of a Demi-God: the ability to move freely between the mortal plain and the spirit realm, something Fluttercruel is unaware of (probably because unlike her, Cupid's mother was an active part of her life). Unfortunately, Cupid was killed using the [[WeaponOfMassDestruction Concept Killing Spear]] and [[RetGone erased from existence along with his Concept.]] [[spoiler:Eventually a mortal named Lovestruck, who is his twice removed {{Reincarnation}} due to the Lost Age, merges with Cupid's Shadow of Existence, inheriting his Demi-God nature and reconstituting his Concept.]]]] Another benefit of Demi-Gods is also revealed here: they aren't ''as'' powerful as full deities, but can freely use their full power [[ICannotSenseTheirPresence without being detected by those who can sense the divine]] because their mortal half shields their divine half.
23rd Sep '17 11:03:49 PM Xavon
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* [[UrExample The original]] demigod, [[Literature/TheEpicOfGilgamesh Gilgamesh]] himself, was actually ''[[UnevenHybrid two-thirds]]'' god. How that worked is anybody's guess.

to:

* [[UrExample The original]] demigod, [[Literature/TheEpicOfGilgamesh Gilgamesh]] himself, was actually ''[[UnevenHybrid two-thirds]]'' god. How that worked is anybody's guess.[[note]]Only if that is by lineage. By genetics it is simple, the DNA he herited from his demi-god father was 33.3% human and 16.7% divine. Combined with the 50% divine DNA he got from his mother, that makes him 66.7% god and 33.3# human[[/note]]
11th Aug '17 8:51:55 PM zarpaulus
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* In ''VideoGame/{{Wildstar}}'' the Dominion was founded by a half-human half-[[{{Precursors}} Eldan]] hybrid known as Dominus. His most pure-blooded descendants, the Luminai, are deified.
3rd Aug '17 6:41:47 AM ChaoticNovelist
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In Disney's ''Disney/{{Hercules}}'', the title character is this trope. Unlike in Greek Mythology, he was ''born'' a full-fledged god to Zeus and Hera, then Hades's minions remove most of his godhood with some sort of potion, just leaving him with SuperStrength (due to not drinking the last drop). In the series, he was regularly referred to as a demigod, and we met several others.

to:

* In Disney's ''Disney/{{Hercules}}'', the title character is this trope. Unlike in Greek Mythology, he was ''born'' a full-fledged god to Zeus and Hera, then Hades's minions remove most of his godhood with some sort of a potion, just leaving him with SuperStrength (due to not drinking the last drop). In the series, he was regularly referred to as a demigod, and we met several others.



* Maui in ''Disney/{{Moana}}'' is a Disney depiction of a mythic figure common in a vast number of real-life Polynesian mythologies. While real-life depictions range from mere human to full-on divinity, this movie's depiction settles for the middle of the road and explicitly calls Maui a demigod. In this version, he was not born SemiDivine, but was abandoned to the ocean by AbusiveParents who didn't want him. Well, the Gods weren't gonna have any of ''that'', so they took him in and [[TouchedByVorlons made him Maui]], Demigod of the Wind and Seas.

to:

* Maui in ''Disney/{{Moana}}'' is a Disney depiction of a mythic figure common in a vast number of real-life Polynesian mythologies. While real-life depictions range from mere human to full-on divinity, this movie's depiction settles for the middle of the road and explicitly calls Maui a demigod. In this version, he was not born SemiDivine, but was abandoned to the ocean by AbusiveParents who didn't want him. Well, the Gods weren't gonna have any of ''that'', so they took him in and [[TouchedByVorlons made him Maui]], Demigod of the Wind and Seas.Seas (and a Shapeshifter who eventually becomes a Hero to All).
This list shows the last 10 events of 152. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.SemiDivine