History Main / NinetyPercentOfYourBrain

23rd Jun '18 3:02:49 AM scooter
Is there an issue? Send a Message



to:

* ''Series/NightMan'': When Johnny Domino gets struck by lightning and starts hearing other people's thoughts, this is the explanation offered by the medical consultant on psychic phenomena--who's apparently been spearheading our side of an ESP race with the Soviet Union.
13th Jun '18 10:03:26 AM Mooncalf
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* In ''Literature/TheDestroyer'', it's been mentioned that Sinanju allows you to use more of your brain, which in turn allows you to do incredible stuff.
8th Apr '18 1:53:02 PM Papermage8
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In the film ''Film/{{Limitless}}'', starring Bradley Cooper and Creator/RobertDeNiro, Cooper plays a down-on-his-luck writer who takes a smart drug called NZT-48 that, according to the drug dealer who introduces it to him, allows him to access 100% of his brain as opposed to "the twenty percent", granting him superhuman intelligence and prescience.

to:

* In the film ''Film/{{Limitless}}'', starring Bradley Cooper and Creator/RobertDeNiro, Cooper plays a down-on-his-luck writer who takes a smart drug called NZT-48 that, according to the drug dealer who introduces it to him, allows him to access 100% of his brain as opposed to "the twenty percent", granting him superhuman intelligence and prescience. (Of course, since the dealer is clearly lying about everything else he says about the drug, such as it being "FDA-approved", he was probably just making up whatever he felt would get Cooper's character to take it.)
6th Mar '18 11:10:41 PM BattleMaster
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* The famous [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage Phineas Gage]] had a railroad spike driven through his brain, causing massive damage to his frontal lobes. He recovered, memories and abilities mostly intact, but with a radically changed personality-friends and family said he was "no longer Gage." Despite the injury, he managed to live for another twelve years.
** It was not a railroad spike but a tamping rod, something much bigger and the explosion literally caused it to rocket through his skull and land on the ground some distance away. His coworkers assumed that he was dead until he started talking and tried to get up like nothing had happened.

to:

* The famous [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage Phineas Gage]] had a railroad spike tamping rod driven clean through his brain, head after he struck it with a sledgehammer when too much gunpowder had been poured into its hole, causing massive damage to his frontal lobes. He recovered, memories and abilities mostly intact, but with a radically changed personality-friends and family said he was "no longer Gage." Despite the injury, he managed to live for another twelve years.
** It
years. He was not long used as an example of the effects of damage to the frontal lobs on a railroad spike person, but a tamping rod, something much bigger and the explosion literally caused it to rocket through severity of his skull and land on the ground some distance away. His coworkers assumed that personality changes are now questioned due to a lack of actual records of what he was dead until he started talking and tried to get up like nothing had happened.from before the accident.
27th Feb '18 3:50:27 PM starofjusticev21
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* The operating premise of the ''[[Franchise/TransformersGeneration1 Transformers]]'' [[ChooseYourOwnAdventure interactive book]] ''Project Brain Drain''. The Decepticons plan to drain the awesome untapped mental energies of the human brain from the attendees of a rock concert.
13th Feb '18 4:21:21 AM JackG
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* [[https://news.avclub.com/what-if-lucy-spawned-other-movies-about-stupid-common-m-1798270319 This spoof]] of ''Film/{{Lucy}}'' suggests Hollywood should make other movies based on inane common beliefs.
2nd Feb '18 12:33:23 AM jormis29
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In ''My Stepmother Is An Alien'' the alien Celeste explains that "We use 104% of our brain capacity, as opposed to your 36%."

to:

* In ''My Stepmother Is An Alien'' ''Film/MyStepmotherIsAnAlien'' the alien Celeste explains that "We use 104% of our brain capacity, as opposed to your 36%."
14th Jan '18 12:55:18 AM Melkior
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** An old joke goes: An Englishman decides that he wants to become a naturalised Irishman, but he's told that in order to do so, he must have 10% of his brain cut out, leaving 90%. He goes ahead with the operation but when he wakes up, a doctor tells him, "I'm terribly sorry but we made a mistake. Instead of cutting out 10% of your brain, leaving 90%, we accidentally cut out 90% of your brain, leaving 10%." The man thinks about this for a minute, then replies, "She'll be right, mate!"[[note]]Said using an Australian Accent[[/note]]


Added DiffLines:

** An old joke goes: An Englishman decides that he wants to become a naturalised Irishman, but he's told that in order to do so, he must have 10% of his brain cut out, leaving 90%. He goes ahead with the operation but when he wakes up, a doctor tells him, "I'm terribly sorry but we made a mistake. Instead of cutting out 10% of your brain, leaving 90%, we accidentally cut out 90% of your brain, leaving 10%." The man thinks about this for a minute, then replies, "She'll be right, mate!"[[note]]Said using an Australian Accent[[/note]]
14th Jan '18 12:45:33 AM Melkior
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* A Silver Age ''{{ComicBooks/Superman}}'' story involved a computer which was supposed to be designed like a human brain (but was the size of a small room). Its creator explicity laments there being no power source "powerful enough to activate all its circuits at the same time" and wonders what it might be capable of if there were. Then he decides to program it with a human personality... by hooking it up to [[SecretIdentity Clark Kent's]] brain...


Added DiffLines:

** An old joke goes: An Englishman decides that he wants to become a naturalised Irishman, but he's told that in order to do so, he must have 10% of his brain cut out, leaving 90%. He goes ahead with the operation but when he wakes up, a doctor tells him, "I'm terribly sorry but we made a mistake. Instead of cutting out 10% of your brain, leaving 90%, we accidentally cut out 90% of your brain, leaving 10%." The man thinks about this for a minute, then replies, "She'll be right, mate!"[[note]]Said using an Australian Accent[[/note]]
10th Dec '17 6:48:40 PM gophergiggles
Is there an issue? Send a Message


This trope name comes from the oft-repeated but false assertion that humans only use 10 percent of their brains. In RealLife, we use ''all'' of our brains, just not all at the same time -- in much the same way you don't have every electronic/mechanical item in your home running at all times; you only turn things on when you need to use them. If you ever do find yourself with every part of your brain "on" at once, congratulations, ''you're having a seizure!'' [[note]]More precisely, seizures occur because parts of the brain start firing off randomly. In some general seizures, the entire brain can have neuronal activity at once for brief moments.[[/note]]

to:

This trope name comes from the oft-repeated but false assertion that humans only use 10 percent of their brains.brains, a misquote of ''How To Win Friends And Influence People''[[note]]"The average person develops only 10 percent of his latent mental ability"[[/note]]. In RealLife, we use ''all'' of our brains, just not all at the same time -- in much the same way you don't have every electronic/mechanical item in your home running at all times; you only turn things on when you need to use them. If you ever do find yourself with every part of your brain "on" at once, congratulations, ''you're having a seizure!'' [[note]]More precisely, seizures occur because parts of the brain start firing off randomly. In some general seizures, the entire brain can have neuronal activity at once for brief moments.[[/note]]
This list shows the last 10 events of 171. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.NinetyPercentOfYourBrain