History Main / DataCrystal

5th Jun '17 2:01:24 PM HiddenWindshield
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* Phase Change Memory is one avenue for research into future storage tech. It's a form of memory where some reversible process is applied to a material (for example heating) in order to change the phase (the type of solid) of a specific portion of the material between a crystalline state (where the atoms form a coherent structure) and an amorphous state (where the atoms still form a solid but are all jumbled up without a discernible structure). As the crystalline and amorphous phases have different conductivities, the resistance of the treated area can be treated as a binary 1 or 0. In theory such storage devices would retain data without power and last for a very long time, as well as have very fast read times (all you have to do is feed a current through an area of the material and measure its resistance to determine binary 1 or 0). One big drawback with phase change technology is that writing is extremely slow and consumers considerable power as you need to get the material to the correct temperature to effect the state change.

to:

* Phase Change Memory is one avenue for research into future storage tech. It's a form of memory where some reversible process is applied to a material (for example heating) in order to change the phase (the type of solid) of a specific portion of the material between a crystalline state (where the atoms form a coherent structure) and an amorphous state (where the atoms still form a solid but are all jumbled up without a discernible structure). As the crystalline and amorphous phases have different conductivities, the resistance of the treated area can be treated as a binary 1 or 0. In theory such storage devices would retain data without power and last for a very long time, as well as have very fast read times (all you have to do is feed a current through an area of the material and measure its resistance to determine binary 1 or 0). One big drawback with phase change technology is that writing is extremely slow and consumers consumes considerable power as you need to get the material to the correct temperature to effect the state change.
23rd May '17 1:14:49 AM PaulA
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In the "Darwath Trilogy" by Creator/BarbaraHambly, the earlier human civilization that built the Keep of Dare used magitech data crystals to store information.

to:

* In the "Darwath Trilogy" ''Literature/{{Darwath}}'' trilogy by Creator/BarbaraHambly, the earlier human civilization that built the Keep of Dare used magitech data crystals to store information.
31st Mar '17 3:09:04 PM nombretomado
Is there an issue? Send a Message












* In ''OrionsArm'', the [[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48507b746e356 "ultimate chip,"]] doesn't look like a single crystal and was originally intended for use as a processor for very advanced distributed computing, can also store massive amounts of data, and is made of [[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464b9c37d9887 diamondoid]], which ''is'' a crystal.

to:

\n* In ''OrionsArm'', ''WebOriginal/OrionsArm'', the [[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48507b746e356 "ultimate chip,"]] doesn't look like a single crystal and was originally intended for use as a processor for very advanced distributed computing, can also store massive amounts of data, and is made of [[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464b9c37d9887 diamondoid]], which ''is'' a crystal.
crystal.









18th Mar '17 8:36:33 AM erforce
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In ''Film/{{Superman}}'' and ''Film/SupermanII'', Superman's Fortress of Solitude at the North Pole has a system that stores information on crystals. In SupermanReturns, it is mentioned that the crystal impressively holds 95% of Krypton's entire knowledge. [[RedHerring The remaining 5% is never mentioned again.]]

to:

* In ''Film/{{Superman}}'' ''Film/SupermanTheMovie'' and ''Film/SupermanII'', Superman's Fortress of Solitude at the North Pole has a system that stores information on crystals. In SupermanReturns, ''Film/SupermanReturns'', it is mentioned that the crystal impressively holds 95% of Krypton's entire knowledge. [[RedHerring The remaining 5% is never mentioned again.]]



* Mocked in ''Film/StarWreck: In the Pirkenning'', where the parody of Lt. Keffer of ''Series/BabylonFive'' is shot down by the P-Fleet and his flight data recorder is recovered. Being based on ''Babylon 5'' tech, it's in the form of a data crystal, and the Sheridan-analogue briefly thinks that Keffer [[TakenForGranite was turned into a crystal by aliens]] before being corrected.

to:

* Mocked in ''Film/StarWreck: In the Pirkenning'', ''Film/StarWreckInThePirkinning'', where the parody of Lt. Keffer of ''Series/BabylonFive'' is shot down by the P-Fleet and his flight data recorder is recovered. Being based on ''Babylon 5'' tech, it's in the form of a data crystal, and the Sheridan-analogue briefly thinks that Keffer [[TakenForGranite was turned into a crystal by aliens]] before being corrected.
15th Feb '17 12:19:28 PM Brainiac0982
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''WesternAnimation/ MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'': In "The Crystal Empire", Celestia displays a crystal to Twilight that, when powered by magic, shows a hologram of the Crystal Empire and of Celstia and Luna's fight against King Sombra, the antagonist of the two-part episode.

to:

* ''WesternAnimation/ MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'': ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'': In "The Crystal Empire", Celestia displays a crystal to Twilight that, when powered by magic, shows a hologram of the Crystal Empire and of Celstia and Luna's fight against King Sombra, the antagonist of the two-part episode.
15th Jan '17 12:36:47 AM FordPrefect
Is there an issue? Send a Message


SubTrope of PowerCrystal and MineralMacGuffin, often used by resident of CrystalSpiresAndTogas.

to:

SubTrope of PowerCrystal and MineralMacGuffin, often used by resident residents of CrystalSpiresAndTogas.
10th Dec '16 8:23:38 AM purplequeen15
Is there an issue? Send a Message



to:

* In addition to the holocrons mentioned above, ''VideoGame/StarWarsTheOldRepublic'' has Common, Glowing, and Radiant data crystals as a secondary in-game currency for buying high-level gear.
8th Dec '16 6:53:21 PM WillKeaton
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* The reason for this trope is because crystals have been suggested as a storage medium for [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage holographic memory]].

to:

* The reason for this trope is because crystals have been suggested as a storage medium for [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage holographic memory]].memory.]]
8th Dec '16 6:52:53 PM WillKeaton
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''ComicBook/BuckGodotZapGunForHire'' has "[[http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090224 info points]]", though it's considered quaint.

to:

* ''ComicBook/BuckGodotZapGunForHire'' has "[[http://www.[[http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090224 info points]]", "info points,"]] though it's considered quaint.



* In ''OrionsArm'', the "[[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48507b746e356 ultimate chip]]", doesn't look like a single crystal and was originally intended for use as a processor for very advanced distributed computing, can also store massive amounts of data, and is made of [[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464b9c37d9887 diamondoid]], which ''is'' a crystal.

to:

* In ''OrionsArm'', the "[[http://www.[[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48507b746e356 ultimate chip]]", "ultimate chip,"]] doesn't look like a single crystal and was originally intended for use as a processor for very advanced distributed computing, can also store massive amounts of data, and is made of [[http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464b9c37d9887 diamondoid]], which ''is'' a crystal.



** [[http://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2016/02/5d-data-storage-update.page The University of Southampton has developed 5D data storage]]; a coin-sized glass disk that can hold ''360 TB'' for 13.8 ''billion'' years and is far more resilient than other data storage methods. Easily the closest this trope has come to TruthInTelevision.

to:

** [[http://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2016/02/5d-data-storage-update.page The University of Southampton has developed 5D data storage]]; storage;]] a coin-sized glass disk that can hold ''360 TB'' for 13.8 ''billion'' years and is far more resilient than other data storage methods. Easily the closest this trope has come to TruthInTelevision.
8th Dec '16 6:51:12 PM WillKeaton
Is there an issue? Send a Message


TruthInTelevision with the fact that deep inside all of the plastic cladding, all solid-state electronic devices are based on crystalline semiconductors; also, in that a three-dimensional storage matrix should in theory, and once the engineering problems around heat dissipation and signal routing can be solved, offer orders of magnitude greater information density for a given volume than any possible refinement of the essentially two-dimensional storage methods in use today.

to:

TruthInTelevision with the fact that deep inside all of the plastic cladding, all solid-state electronic devices are based on crystalline semiconductors; also, in that semiconductors. Also, a three-dimensional storage matrix should work in theory, and once the engineering problems around heat dissipation and signal routing can be solved, offer orders of magnitude greater information density for a given volume than any possible refinement of the essentially two-dimensional storage methods in use today.
This list shows the last 10 events of 84. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.DataCrystal