Toggle Random Buttons
Browse the Tropes
Ask the Tropers
Recent Page Type Changes
Ask The Tropers
You Know That Show...
Trope Launch Pad
Crime & Punishment
Music And Sound Effects
Characters As Device
Laws And Formulas
Truth And Lies
Truth In Television
Fate And Prophecy
You need to
to do this.
if you don't have an account
History Literature / TheGuardiansOfTimeTrilogy
Back To: Literature / TheGuardiansOfTimeTrilogy
5th Jan '14 3:38:00 AM
Is there an issue?
Send a Message
* At the end of the first book, Ethan expects to be expelled from the [[TimePolice Guard]] for [spoiler: abandoning his friends for the start of the crucial battle and breaking their prime rule of non-interference with history by rescuing King Richard.]] Instead, [[spoiler: it turns out that he was merely [[YouCan'tFightFate following the promptings of]] TheProphecy, and he is granted his wings (teleportation) – the highest honor the Guard can bestow and a sign of trust, and something he has been wanting since before the start of the book. ]]
26th Mar '13 4:01:55 AM
Is there an issue?
Send a Message
''The Guardians of Time'' is a trilogy by Marianne Curley about a group of [[DifferentlyPoweredIndividual Differently Powered Individuals]] who are identified and trained to be members of [[HeroesRUs The Guard]] from a very young age to fight the [[NebulousEvilOrganisation Order Of Chaos]]. The Order is run by [[BigBad Lathenia]], an immortal who tries to create chaos in the world by sending members of the Order back in time to MakeWrongWhatOnceWentRight. She ultimately aims to kill her brother Lorian, another immortal who is in charge of the Guard.
The books focus on the adventures of a small group of teenagers who live in Angel Falls, which just happens to be right above the ancient city of Veridian and the location and subject of an ancient prophecy. This prophecy details roles for [[TheChosenMany The Named]] in a battle for creation that is just around the corner. The Named are unidentified and the overarching plot consists of finding the nine chosen people, working out who does what and kicking chaotic ass.
The trilogy consists of [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin ''The Named'', ''The Dark'' and ''The Key'']].
A character sheet can be found [[Characters/TheGuardiansOfTimeTrilogy here]].
!!This trilogy provides examples of:
* AerithAndBob: Isabel and . . . Arkarian?
* ActionGirl: Isabel, Rochelle, Neriah - all the female main characters.
* AppliedPhlebotinum: in many different forms.
* BecauseDestinySaysSo: As almost everything depends on the Prophecy, the fact that the Named all know each other and congregate to Angel Falls is explained away as this.
* BeethovenWasAnAlienSpy: Played with in the form of King Richard II, who's rescued from certain death to become [[spoiler: a member of the time travel Tribunal]].
* BigBrotherInstinct: Matt spends most of the first book making a show of this trope.
* DreamingOfThingsToCome: This is [[spoiler: Isabel's]] second skill. It also counts as a (only somewhat [[HowDoIShotWeb justified]]) case of NewPowersAsThePlotDemands, manifesting suddenly in the second book where it is instrumental, and then fading into the background.
* FlightStrengthHeart: Ethan, whose powers consist of a form of telekinesis, creating illusions and [[spoiler: instinct, or the power to fulfil the prophecy.]]
* HeelFaceTurn: [[spoiler: Rochelle and Dillon.]]
* KarmicDeath: [[spoiler: Marduke.]]
* LostTechnology: From Atlantis, but of course.
* LukeIAmYourFather: More than once.
* ReformedButRejected: Rochelle. Averted with [[spoiler:Dillon]], [[JustBugsMe who had absolutely no problems with getting the others to trust him]].
* TookALevelInBadass: Matt, after his training.
* WeirdnessCensor: At its worst in ''The Key'' when all the main characters are raised into the air in public, the school is attacked by hundreds of slightly demonic rats and Ethan runs (to Isabel, the healer) with a severely wounded Mr Carter, to the shock of his teachers. The consequences of this aren't really explored further than Carter's HandWave.
* YouGottaHaveBlueHair: It's always noted when a new character meets Arkarian.
* YourMindMakesItReal: Presumably the basis of Ethan's skill, described as the power to bring "reality into an illusion". Rochelle and Isabel are also faced with this in ''The Key'', when they're in the Underworld.
moved to namespace
This list shows the last 2 events of 2.