So as to list some of the more positive aspects of the game:
- The largest open world of the series, to the extent that the game could be considered a sandbox game even without the main storyline.
- A main story line that attempts to explore the Templar perspective of the Assassin/Templar conflict without diminishing the impact or ignoring the conclusion of the Desmond Arc.
- Some surprisingly well-detailed first person segments
- A stunningly rich and enjoyable sailing experience that captured the whole "Age of Sail" era far more than any game I've yet seen.
- Some extensive and enjoyable multiplayer content.
- Brilliant level design and combat mechanics (as are standard for the series).
Overall an enjoyable game with much staying power, if not my favorite game of the entire series. I would highly recommend it, but this review doesn't do it justice. See the game for yourself and see what you think.