Er... right, I'm way behind here.
Pokémon League Gyms
Any organization involved in society needs a public face, and the Pokémon League is no exception.
Gyms are found in most major cities of consequence. As implied by their name, they serve as centers of training expertise, as well as meeting facilities.
Each Gym has a Leader, responsible for managing the Gym's schedule of events and heading various programs. Leaders are expected to be accomplished Trainers, and are typically drawn in a competitive process from a pool of tournament finalists.
Functions / Duties
For competitive Trainers, Gyms are primarily seen as obstacles to overcome, as the traditional tournament requires possession of eight Gym Badges for entry.
A Gym awards its Badge to Trainers who can defeat its Leader in a controlled Pokémon Battle. The Leader typically does not
field their personal team, however; rather, based on the challenger's Badge count, the Leader will assemble a challenging, but fairly matched, team from the Gym Pokémon.
While Badge matches are a high-profile Gym function, the bulk of a Leader's time is spent each day on simply overseeing the training of the Gym's Pokémon. Gyms are encouraged to explore and develop novel battle tactics and fitness regimens; to aid focus, modern Gyms continue the traditional practice of limiting one's training to one type.
During times of crisis, the local Gym and its Pokémon are expected to be the first responders.
- Children's scouting: details?
- Apprentice battling: details?
- Medical certification: various courses are offered in the safe administration of medication and injury treatment, which must be passed in order to be permitted to buy things such as Revive stimulants and high-dose Potions.
- ???: education in safely riding Pokémon that are Surfing/Flying/Rock Climbing/etc.
- probably more, input?
- Badge matches can be frustrating to schedule; a Gym Leader's duties are quite stressful, so they are granted frequent vacations.
- What about towns that in-game have no Gym? What happened with the Dojo?
An article on Pokémon Centers is probably warranted as well, and I know I'm forgetting some other topics. Not to mention species entries.
edited 5th May '10 3:02:02 PM by Tangent128