- OCTOBER – Phys Ed. -(Ash is tackled in a game of flag football by an extremely obnoxious student. It takes about four others to pull him off of Ash as the guy screams in his ear. The student chuckles and high fives a random member of the red team as he walks to their side. (Ash gets back to his feet and dusts himself off. He looks off to Coach Wallach, but sees that his attention is on another field. A stocky looking kid from the yellow team joins Ash) MANN: “I thought we were playing Flag Football.” RUSSELL: “Fag Football’s more like it!” (A member of the red team comes up from behind them and slaps Ash on the back, hard. He heads back to his side of the field, laughing. Ash straightens himself up again, seething.) MANN: “I know. Just don’t let them get to you, ok?” ASH: “… … …” (On the next play, Ash is the only man open on the field. The quarterback is reluctant to throw to Ash. Before the hammer comes down, he decides to throw) GALLARDO: “HEY! ASHLEY!” (Ash is spacing out on the field. He eventually notices the airborne ball. Instead of getting in position to catch, he holds his hand out in front of him, as if to shield his eyes from the sun. The obnoxious guy from before runs in and rams Ash out the way to intercept the ball. The yellow team swears and runs after the guy as he blasts off into the goalline.) MENDOZA: “WHOO-OO-OO HOO!! Up all your asses! Huh!” (He slams the ball to the ground and begins to improvise a touchdown dance, ending it with a pelvic thrust. Three members of the Yellow Team dogpile him out of spite. The topmost student pantomimes thrusting. All four laugh) (Gallardo walks up to Ash and shoves him.) GALLARDO: “What the fuck is wrong with you, Ashley, you fucking faggot?!” ASH: “My name is A-“ GALLARDO: “I don’t give a fuck WHAT your name is, catch the fucking ball when I throw it to you!” ASH: “If it matters that much to you, catch it yourself.” GALLARDO: “WHAT DID YOU SAY, PU—” (The punted ball beans Ash on the shoulder. Ash juggles the ball around clumsily, before he finally clasps it in his hands. Gallardo begins running forward) GALLARDO: “Now was that so fucking hard?” (Ash follows Gallardo, but stops as soon as he sees Mendoza plow Gallardo out of the way. Mendoza tries psyching Ash out, jogging, bobbing and weaving in place. Already annoyed, Ash drops his guard and stares.) MENDOZA: “Oh come on, it’s no fun that way.” ASH: “Don’t touch me.” MENDOZA: “What’s the matter? ‘fraid you’d like it?” (Ash tears off his flags and throws them to the floor.) MENDOZA: “Pussy…” (Mendoza shoves Ash and moves back to his side.) (The ball is snapped to Ash on the next play. Ash naturally has no idea what he’s doing, and Mendoza is ready to pounce.) MENDOZA: “One alligator two alligator threaligatablabablaba BLITZ!!” (Out of fright and impulse, Ash throws the ball directly into Mendoza’s face. Mendoza yelps, swerves and collapses on the grass. He writhes on the ground holding on to his face and swearing at Ash. Ash looks on, then averts his eyes in embarrassment) ASH: “What? What was I supposed to do? I wasn’t about to let you tackle me again.” MENDOZA: (muffled) “Oh, man the fuck up, Ashley, you fucking bitch!!” (Ash grabs the ball from off the ground) ASH: “I didn’t hear you. What did you call me?” MENDOZA: (muffled) “You heard me, you bitch.” ASH: “Before that.” (Mendoza flips Ash off with both hands. His face is glowing red) MENDOZA: “FUCK YOU, ASHLEY!” (Ash beans Mendoza in the face again. At this Mendoza springs up from off the ground, jumps on Ash and pins him down. Mendoza then whips his fists in a windmill, punching Ash repeatedly ten times. He climbs off of Ash and walks off into the gathering crowd) MENDOZA: “Fuckin’ Idiot.” ASH: “I’m still here, asshole.” (Mendoza freezes at this comment) MENDOZA: “Oh. No, you didn’t.” (Mendoza turns around to walk back to Ash) MENDOZA: “OH NO YOU FUCKING D—“ (Ash was already off the floor when he taunted him. While Mendoza is at mid-gasp, Ash slashes him with an uppercut, flooring him. Before Mendoza can stagger back on both feet, he sees Ash has cocked back his left fist. Mendoza whips his right.) (The fists collide. After a beat, Mendoza flinches and holds on to his hand.) ASH: “DHHAAAAAAAAAH!! (Ash finishes Mendoza off with a straight punch to the nose. Mendoza skids across the grass and is knocked out cold.) C. WALLACH: “Hey! I saw that! I saw the whole thing! (Ash massages his right hand. His knuckle is split and bleeding. His forehead’s been cut as well.) MANN: “Jesus, you broke his nose, Ashley!” (Ash wipes the blood onto his loaned gym shirt and looks off at Coach Watts, whose attention is finally on his game’s field.) C. WALLACH: “You come over here right now! We’re going to Dr. Hartman’s office!” (Ash looks around. Members from both the red team and the yellow team have an unpleasant look on their face. From the corner of his eye, Ash sees Mann. Mann has his hands cupped, mouthing “Run”. Ash backs away and cracks his knuckles. First the left. then the right.)
edited 28th Nov '11 1:06:27 AM by Schitzo
- Dodgeball: Meh, shrug it off
- Volleyball: ow, nigga.
- Football: A combination of texture, pointiness and an unnecessarily stiff hide make footballs hurt like a bitchwhore.
- Baseball: YOU ARE DIED
edited 24th Nov '11 7:47:20 PM by Schitzo
- HALLWAY-(Ash is running for dear life inside the campus halls. He swerves around a corner and bumps into a group of people before picking up speed. Ash is being pursued by four students: Gallardo, Russell, Tran and Alvarez, who are bumbling because of their numbers. Ash spots a restroom and runs inside. The four follow.) ALVAREZ: “Oh, Aaaashleeeeey…” (The four scan the bathroom. He’s nowhere to be seen. Nowhere obvious.) GALLARDO: “We just want to talk, Ashley.” RUSSELL: “Yeah, Ashley, nothin’s wrong.” (The group sees someone’s feet inside one of the stalls. Tran winds up and boots the door open) TRAN: “SURPRI—URLGH!” (Ash has tackled Tran from a wall jump just inside the stall. Once everyone dominos, Ash scrambles over the four and throws a trashcan onto them before heading out of the bathroom) (Word of a fight is spreading across the hall. Upon hearing this, he runs faster towards the front exit. From the other end of the hall, Mendoza can be seen glowering. He charges towards Ash. Having too much momentum to stop now, Ash braces himself for a joust. Mendoza readies a shoulder tackle, while Ash responds with a flying drop kick.) (The bodies collide, and both rebound into opposite locker walls. Before Mendoza and Ash can get back up, Tran, Russell, Alvarez and Gallardo catch up.) (A ring of students has formed around the six fighters. They pump their fists and chant “fight” in unison. Having little recourse now, Ash targets Mendoza and launches a right hook at his crooked nose.) (A miss. Mendoza’s dodge throws Ash off balance. Mendoza then grabs Ash and places him in a Full Nelson Hold. Once he locks the hold, Russell, Gallardo and Alvarez immediately go to work on Ash. One pummels Ash in the ribs, while the other two punch his abdomen. Russell only has enough room to taunt Ash.) (All three then wind up a punch to strike in unison. At this, Ash shouts and jumps up, placing his feet on a shoulder each. Ash then pushes off of them and falls backwards, with Mendoza breaking his fall. Ash rolls off of Mendoza, gets on his feet and drives his fist downward into the fallen Mendoza’s forehead. One scream of pain later, and Mendoza is out cold) (The chanting of the ring of students has gone silent. Ash’s breathing has gotten heavy, and his eyes are fixed in a cold glare.) (The chant of “Fight!” explodes in volume. The four are hesitant to attack Ash, not wanting to be on the receiving end of his punches. Tran, who’s behind Ash, finally takes initiative and rushes in for a takedown. Ash whips his foot behind him, decking Tran in the gut. He follows up with an uppercut so raw, it sends him into a short crowd dive out of the ring.) (As soon as Tran lands, Alvarez and Gallardo attempt to sandwich Ash by punching him simultaneously from opposite sides. Ash drops on a knee, successfully dodging and causing Alvarez and Gallardo to collide their fists together. Ash grabs the stunned two by their heads and slams them together twice, knocking them out) (Russell is attempting to run from the fight, but the ring of students shoves him back into the fray, shouting “pussy”. As soon as he sees Ash facing him, he puts his guard up) RUSSELL: “A-Ashley, w-we were just playing foo’, we were just –“ (The students shove Russell towards Ash. With a yell, Ash blasts Russell with a boot to the chest back into the wall of students, toppling over half of them down in a chain reaction. Ash exits the ring, only to be knocked back inside by a stray fist.) (The new challenger is Rick Beaumont, a varsity football player. He steps inside the ring with Ash.) RICK: “You must be Ashley. They told me you’d be a lot more built.” (Ash gets back up and dusts himself off) RICK: “Cesar’s not too fond of people picking on his brat brother Armando, even me.” (Ash glances at the fallen Mendoza, and then faces Rick in a fighting stance.) ASH: “FUCK OFF.” (Rick cracks his knuckles) RICK: “First thing’s first.” ASH: “GRWWAAAAAAAAAAGH!!” (Ash charges at Rick, screaming at the top of his lungs. Rick evades Ash’s first two strikes by holding his head at arms length. Ash violently uppercuts his arm off and follows up with a clothesline) (Rick dodges it and tries grappling Ash into a Half Nelson. Before he can lock the hold, Ash swings his heel down into Rick’s toe, causing him to loosen his grip. He follows it up with a left elbow to the abdomen, backhand to the face and a right straight, flooring Rick) (Smiling, Rick wipes off his mouth and gets back up. Ash screams and charges again, but Rick’s right hand intercepts his left hook. Ash launches his right, but it’s caught at the shoulder. Rick now forces Ash into a grapple.) (Ash is still screaming in rage as they grapple. After a beat, Rick brings his knee up and nails Ash in the abdomen, silencing him. Rick follows up with two body blows and then a vertical axe swing to the spine, driving Ash floorward. Ash vomits blood and collapses on the floor) (Rick wipes the scream phlegm off of his face and kneels next to Ash.) RICK: “Ooh no. Don’t start taking this the wrong way, now.” (He picks up Ash by the collar and pins him to a locker wall. Ash can barely keep his head up and no student in the ring is cheering now.) RICK: “I just did you a favor. I beat you up so that Cesar doesn’t need to. Believe me, you’re better off.” (Ash wipes the blood from his mouth. His thumb is bloodstained.) RICK: “Just apologize to Armando and we’ll pretend this whole thing never happened.” ASH: “… … …” (Ash gives Rick a thumbs up. However, he then drives his thumb into Rick’s ear and grinds it in, giving him a bloody wet willie. The crowd jeers in unison at this. Ash finishes and looks at Rick's wince) ASH: "Heh heh heh heh... EH HEH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!" (Rick's furious face is the last thing Ash sees before he's knocked out)
????(A boy around the age of 8 is struggling with a video game, letting loose the occasional insult and futilely shaking his controller up and down in an effort to make his avatar do what he wants it to do. When the game over jingle plays, he lets out an exasperated roar and slams the controller on his lap.) (The boy’s brother walks in the room to check in on the commotion.) TONY: Having some trouble, Ash? ASH: What’s with this guy?! TONY: Ah… This guy. Here, let me see that. (Ash hands his brother the controller. He tilts the controller to show Ash his fingerwork, looking at the screen all the while. Ash eagerly exchanges glances between the screen and the controller) TONY: Look at this. Hit him just as he’s about to land, and then retreat. See? (Ash nods, his eyes still darting. The relief in his eyes is gone when he sees Tony enter a menu that resets the stage. He’s handed the controller.) ASH: H-hey, come on! Beat him! TONY: No way, Bro. You’re the one playing right now. Can’t just take that away from you, now can I? (Tony ruffles Ash’s hair and heads for his room) TONY: Give ‘em hell, Bro. (Ash unpauses the game and starts playing again. The vacuumlike sound of energy charging drowns out the game’s background score.)
-ATTENDANCE OFFICE-(Ash spasms awake and finds himself in the Nurse’s Office.) MS. RAMIREZ: You alright, mijo? (Groggy and still in his loaned Phys Ed uniform, Ash turns to face the nurse. Once he does, he notices his lack of righthand peripheral vision. Ash feels his face and finds gauze over his right eye) Ms. RAMIREZ: “Ah-ah, Don’t touch it. Don’t worry, your eye’s still there, but it’s not a pretty sight.” ASH: “… … …” (The nurse hands Ash a stapled paper bag.) MS. RAMIREZ: “Here’s the list of pharmaceuticals you’ll need, and some eyedrops for later. Can you walk, mijo?” ASH: “… I have an eyepatch?” RAMIREZ: “uh huh.” ASH: “Cool.” (The nurse sighs) RAMIREZ: “Head to the principals office, kid. Mr. Hartman’s waiting for you.” (Ash climbs off the bed and wobbles out the door) (Ash wanders inside the corners of the Attendance Office. He soon sees Hartman’s door, Not only is it locked, two voices can be heard arguing) C. WALLACH: “… not listening to me, Hal!” HARTMAN: “I’m sorry, Thomas, but Beaumont here should have used better judgment.” WALLACH: “Better judgment? What about that crazy kid?!” HARTMAN: “Will you keep your voice down?” WALLACH: *exhale* “Are we going to ruin our first game of the year thanks to one minor indiscretion by some pencil neck?” RICK: “Pencil neck?!” WALLACH: “Not you, Beaumont!” HARTMAN: “What’s still bugging me is Beaumont’s involvement in this. Rick doesn’t know that Mendoza kid, does he? WALLACH: “He’s Cesar’s brother, and was part of Junior Varsity.” HARTMAN: “Was, Tom. Armando is in a remedial P.E. class now, and Rick and Cesar are in Varsity. That neither explains nor excuses Beaumont.” WALLACH: “Why are you doing this to me? … Well?” RICK: “Do you seriously want to hear my lousy excuse?” WALLACH: “Of course! Make something up! Any…” (Ash backs away from the door. He hears familiar voices from the adjacent door.)
edited 28th Nov '11 11:05:37 PM by Schitzo
edited 29th Nov '11 7:22:22 AM by Schitzo
- DETENTION BLOCK: AFTERSCHOOL -(After changing out of his P.E. clothes and getting his assignments for the day, Ash swings by the detention block and looks on through the door. Looks like this is a full house. A lot of people must get in trouble in this school. Ash walks in and takes the only seat left, one right next to Sylvia.) (Ash surveys the room. Behind him are four of the five Ash had beaten up earlier today. They glare and each flash a gang sign. To Ash’s right is a trio of nerds. Charlie is correcting a test. Perhaps someone cheated off his test? Behind the nerds are five of the school’s burnouts. Ralph salutes Ash. Ash nods back. To Ash’s left is Sylvia, who has a window seat.) (Ash lets his glance linger on Sylvia a bit. Sylvia looks bored out of her mind. While she leans her head on her right hand, she writes lines as punishment with her left. Her paper reads “My opinion is a privilege, not a right”, over and over. She has a lollipop in her mouth. Cherry flavor probably, judging by the pink on the wet end of the stick) (Sylvia takes notice of Ash and glances back at him. Ash quickly faces forward, then slowly looks back again.) (Their eyes meet. Sylvia chuckles at Ash’s eyepatch and winks her right eye. Not knowing what to make of the gesture, Ash faces forward again) (Dr. Hartman, who’s overseeing this detention, reads a pulp novel. Ash decides to pull out a book of his own. He cracks open his algebra book and get to work. However, he succumbs to boredom by his third problem. Ash lays his head down to rest)
edited 30th Nov '11 6:50:21 AM by Schitzo
edited 30th Nov '11 6:58:25 AM by Schitzo
Concept art for this segment of the story◊
edited 13th Dec '11 7:12:00 AM by Schitzo
-HOME, IN ASH’S ROOM-(At his study desk, Ash attempts to bandage his trembling, blood caked hands to no avail. Ash tries to get his left hand to wrap his right, then to wrap the right with his left. No use. The roll of gauze falls through Ash’s fingers like water through a strainer.) (Ash decides to get back to his math homework. However, the shaking won’t allow him to write clearly, let alone hold a pencil at all. The pencil vaults off of his hand, clatters about and rolls off the desk and into the dark of the room) ASH: …Uuurgh! (Ash slams himself into his bed and shuts his eyes, before opening them again and noticing his game console under the glow of his television set. He turns it on and starts playing a simple platformer.) (Or tries to, at least. Ash’s numb hands don’t press what he wants when he wants to. He mashes buttons, claps his hands against the face buttons, and slams the controller on his bed over and over until he finally throws it off the bed. He wraps himself inside his blankets and seethes himself to sleep, not even bothering to shut off his tv)
edited 13th Dec '11 1:00:35 AM by Schitzo
-THE SCHOOL’S OUTER DOORS-(It’s finally Monday, and Ash stands on the sidewalk opposite of the school’s entrance doors, hesitant, and seemingly inviting the campus itself into a staring contest. He raises his stiff, bandaged right hand in front of him and looks at the school through his fingers. They’re still shaky, and they’ve only just begun to heal.) (In reaction to the school’s starting bell, Ash mentally crushes the campus. The clenching of his fist is accompanied by several sickening cracks and pops.) ASH: Tch. (Ash and moves onward, putting on some headphones to drown out anything and everything as he enters inside.)
-THE MAIN HALL-(When brings his head up and looks forward, Ash stops suddenly enough to nearly sway out of balance at the sight he beholds. About two classrooms worth of students are lined up on both sides of the hall, with a building applause and an increasingly loud chant of “Ashley”. The look in Ash’s face and the slight chuckle that ensues from him is equal parts frustration, flabbergastedness, and oddly enough, nostalgia. He walks forward as the crowd parts itself, and he raises the volume of his player to max. Not that it helps. Not with this crowd.) (Two girls on the leftmost wall of people push themselves to the front, and one of them separates from the pair to prance over to the rightmost wall. Both face Ash and flash him. As Ash squeezes past them, the two sandwich him and kiss him on a cheek each.) ASH: … (Something catches Ash’s eye, and he looks to the left. Sylvia’s tending to her locker, paying no attention whatsoever to the uproar going on. She’s wearing a massive pair of headphones, which she’s probably wearing for the express purpose of showing the whole world just how much of a damn she gives) (Distracted, Ash runs headfirst into something and falls backwards onto the floor. The crowd grows silent at this. When Ash looks forward, he sees Rick in what seems to be a cast and crutches, struggling to pick himself up off the floor. Ash gets up and, after giving it some thought, offers his better hand to Rick.) (Rick swats it away, and at this the crowd roars at Ash to “Fuck Him Up.” Ash shakes his head in disgust, squeezes past the mob and runs off to his first class.)
Concept Art of Sylvia◊ TO BE CONTINUED IN ANOTHER INSTALLMENT.
edited 18th Dec '11 6:41:58 PM by Schitzo
- 1. The crowd that forms is one of those "fifteen minutes of fame" crowds. A fickle following that'll forget about Ash in a week. Based on the look on Ash's face, this has happened to him before, and more than once. He's trying his best not to give them fodder. Maybe I should add a flashback sequence?
- 2. Rick had come back from the weekend with a career ending wound, apparently from the game he was supposed to play the day of Ash's confrontation. This is going to be one lousy year for him, if the fickleness of this crowd is as bad as it looks here.
- 3. Ash gets an increasing interest in Sylvia, which to be honest, I've yet to write a good story arc on them both. I'm working on them.
edited 13th Dec '11 7:25:41 AM by Schitzo