Tropers Online: 4,317
[ Login for more options ]
|These are what we call the 'YMMV items.' Things that some people find in this work. We call them 'your mileage might vary' because not everyone sees these things in the same way. This starts discussions in the trope lists, a thing we don't want. Please use the discussion page if you'd like to discuss any of these items.|
YMMV: The Idiot
- Informed Attribute / Character Shilling: Aglaya Ivanovna is supposed to be a treasure to be cherished, with the Prince and a few other characters falling in love with her, and several praising her virtues, even though whenever on stage she does nothing but act like a Spoiled Brat.
- Jerkass Woobie: Nastasya Filippovna, full stop.
- Moe: Prince Myshkin has a lot of these traits, being a virginal ill guy who gives off an air of child-like innocence and trust. Needless to say, this being Dostoevsky, things do not go well (see the Purity Sue entry below). Could possibly count as a deconstruction for this reason.
- Purity Sue: Deconstructed; Prince Myshkin is a model of Christ-like purity, which simply leads the rest of Russian society to take advantage of him.
- The Woobie: Prince Myshkin.