YMMV: The English Patient
- Adaptation Displacement: The movie is better known than the book, inasmuch as it's known at all, and the Seinfeld episode is known better than either of them, as mentioned above.
- Deader Than Disco: The movie: won a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture, now known mostly as an object of Hype Aversion. As for the book... The film was breifly mentioned in Chuck Palahniuk's 2011 novel Damned as being a film played on a constant loop in Hell. Ouch.
- Ho Yay: The Patient's description of the young Bedouin boy; more subtly, his relationship with Geoffrey Clifton.
- Hype Aversion
- Misaimed Fandom: There are people who think the Patient's affair with Katharine was a good idea. Doesn't help that the movie focused so much on that aspect of the story.
- Sequel Displacement: The book is actually a sort-of-sequel to Ondaatje's earlier In The Skin Of A Lion, where Caravaggio and Hana were first introduced.