YMMV: The Burbs
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: At a certain point, behavior and circumstances can be so suspicious and bizarre that "there's probably an innocent explanation" can be dangerously irresponsible (finding actual human remains is probably well past that point). This makes more sense today in the age of "if you see something, say something". Though doing the investigation yourself instead of going to the professionals is a really, really bad idea.
- Hey, It's That Place!: The set for this movie, Colonial Street at Universal Studios, would later become Wisteria Lane of Desperate Housewives. While all of the houses have appeared in various TV shows and films since, perhaps most recognizable was the Butlers', which was also the house of The Munsters.
- Narm Charm: Ray and Art's reaction to finding the femur. It is presented in a humorous way, but Tom Hank's screams of horror sounding almost perfunctory and the repeated in-and-out camera zooming makes it even funnier than it was supposed to be.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Some people were disappointed that the Klopek's turned out be Evil All Along, feeling the movie passed up a moral about tolerance and understanding. By that same token...
- The Untwist: The Klopeks are set up as so blatantly mysterious, creepy and ominous that it's honestly more of a surprise when they don't turn out to be innocent in the end.