YMMV: Star Trek: The Next Generation Relaunch
- Ass Pull: The Borg Queen having conveniently learned to teleport the Cube from having only analyzed Lady Q (or at least that's what we're led to believe).
- Base Breaker: The deaths (or apparent deaths) of Kathryn Janeway and Montgomery Scott.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: In Before Dishonor: Remember the Doomsday Machine from the Original Series? Well, it's back. And it's on our side. And kicking the Borg's collective ass. For about ten minutes, anyways, until the Borg Ass Pull a teleporting trick and EAT the damn thing.
- Also counts as a Continuity Nod to the older novel Vendetta which featured the completed version of the thing. You read that right. The one in The Doomsday Machine was theorized in Vendetta to be a PROTOTYPE that was launched because the war between the creators of the original machine and the Borg was going badly for the good guys. This series outright confirms the theory established years ago by Vendettanote . The final version went into something like Warp 9.999999999999-ad infinitum (Warp 10 was still "unreachable" at the time Peter David wrote the novelnote ), with its pilot, linked to the minds of the ship (essentially making the ship a sentient collective- the irony abounds) intending to go straight for the Borg homeworld and devour it before she died of phaser wounds that should have been fatal.
- Picard and the Enterprise hooking up unexpectedly with none other than Mackenzie Calhoun and the Excalibur, who then proceeds to declare Picard honorary commodore of his and the other ships as they head out to engage the Borg.
- It should be noted that Before Dishonor, Vendetta, and Star Trek: New Frontier were all written by Peter David.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: As Picard is giving the command for his company of ships to move out:
"Don't forget to say 'engage,'" Calhoun cautioned. "It's just not the same if you don't say 'engage'.""Make it so.""Damn you, Picard, you tricky bastard," said Calhoun.
"Did I miss a memo? Who promoted him?"
- Jellico's reaction to Picard's "promotion":
"Oh. Well, figures."
"At least there's nothing for them to assimilate on Pluto," said Nechayev after a moment. "The only planet in the system that doesn't have some fool colonists trying to turn hell into paradise."Jellico looked up in surprise. "Planet? You mean dwarf planet.""No. Planet. They changed it back again."Jellico moaned. "Not again. This makes, what, the tenth time in the last three centuries? Can't they make up their damned minds?"Jellico: Well, that settles that debate.
- "Did you see the giftshop?"
- Starfleet admirals Jellico and Nechayev speculating on the fate of humanity should the Borg destroy Earth:
- All of Q&A.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: For the hope of future humanity, Losing the Peace places Geordi La Forge's Zefram Cochrane high school in Mogadishu, Somalia.
- Picard and Crusher finally getting their act together after nearly two decades (at the very least) of Unresolved Sexual Tension.
- Nightmare Fuel: The new and improved Borg.
We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile... but welcome.