- Nightmare Fuel: Burton's description of his vision over the Solaris ocean is pretty disturbing.
- Special Effects Failure: The scene where Hari crashes through the door looks a little silly 40 years later.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: This exchange:
Chris: Why did you kill yourself?
Gibarian: It seemed like a good idea at the time.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The whole score, but in particular the scene of Chris' first approach towards the station at Solaris.
- Moral Event Horizon: Chris crossed the line when he locks the first copy of Rheya in a pod and jettisons it.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Lem himself did not particularly care for this adaptation (though he didn't even watch it), citing concerns that it was too focused on the romantic aspects. But then again, he wasn't too fond of Tarkovsky's either.