- Arc Fatigue: After 52 volumes and five years of in-novel time, Masahiro and Akiko are still not officially together despite their relationship being brought up in every volume.
- Damsel Scrappy: Akiko. But she lives in a time where misogyny ran rampant. Can you really blame her for not being able to fend for herself?
- Die for Our Ship: Akiko, for those who love Masahiro/Guren.
- Ho Yay: Plenty of it between Masahiro and Guren, they intertwine fingers in the opening for god sakes!
- Periphery Demographic: Two-thirds of the cast is freaking bishounen! Of course yaoi fangirls are gonna be the majority of the fans!
- Tear Jerker: The last episode is pretty much this.
- What An Idiot: Guren gets mind-controlled by Ryuusai and ends up fatally wounding Seimei against his will. Then the shikigami arrive to observe the scene
You'd Expect: The shikigami to go after Ryuusai and do him in for mind controlling Guren and convincing the latter to understand that it wasn't his fault. He was being mind controlled. He didn't intentionally do it, not on purpose! They'll understand, right?
Instead: They outright assume Guren did it on purpose and, despite Seimei surviving, blame him for it without even bothering to ask him what really happened, and hold it over his head for freaking DECADES!!!
The Result: Guren develops severe self-esteem issues and is completely shunned by the other shikigami despite Seimei's objections, even to the point of deriding Masahiro just for being friends with him!
- The Woobie: To some extent, Masahiro is this. Woobieness steadily increases as the story progresses.
- Suzaku and Tenitsu as well, when episode 21 and 22 come around.
- Guren. He was mind controlled by Ryuusai and forced to kill Seimei against his will! Once he snaps out of it, the Shikigami arrive and see what he did, and what do they do? They immediately think he did it on purpose and turn against him, not even giving him the time to explain/clarify the situation! You just want to give him a hug. Or many.