- Alternate Character Interpretation: Rather than a crime thriller, the film of The Talented Mr. Ripley is a character-focused drama that is all about humanizing Ripley.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Watching the film while knowing it was a major inspiration for The Room creates a quite different experience.
- It Was His Sled: Ripley kills Dickie and assumes his identity.
- Nightmare Fuel: The whole second half of the film version of The Talented Mr. Ripley. Ripley's whole predicament just keeps on getting tenser and more grimly farcical until he literally has to keep six different parties from running into each other for risk of exposure... all for telling a little white lie.
- Magnificent Bastard: Most evident in Ripley's Game, where Tom takes revenge on an artist who snubbed him at a party by bribing the man's doctor to declare him terminally ill. Then, Tom manipulates the artist into committing murders for him in order to have money to support his wife and child once he dies.