YMMV: Malory Towers
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Gwen's father. The books portray him as the Only Sane Man in a household full of brainless women, trying to turn Gwen into a decent woman despite the mother and governess ruining his efforts. But he apparently hired Miss Winter (a complete airhead) and saw her and his wife spoiling Gwen rotten for years. He didn't check if Miss Winter was giving the child a proper education (she wasn't). And when Gwen turned to be an absolute Spoiled Brat his solution was... send her to a boarding school, far away from home, and let the teachers clean up the mess.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: Zerelda's plot arc seems to come down to "If you have a dream, then when a teacher tells you that you don't have any real acting skills, just give up, it'll be better for you in the long run. Don't even try to, for instance, go to a special school to really try to learn- nope, just give up your dream and go do your homework."
- Fridge Logic: Why does Mr Lacey keep Miss Winter in his home after Gwen started the school?
- Too Dumb to Live: Amanda. She went swimming in the sea despite being warned that it was incredibly dangerous and that there was a fast current. End result: she nearly got killed and her career as an Olympic swimmer was over before it had begun.
- What an Idiot: Gwen. She tried to skip the exams faking a heart disease and she didn't think she would be, you know, examinated by a doctor.