- Crowning Moment of Awesome: In Shadow Magic when Alcibiades has just brought down the Ke-Han palace and is fighting the (bat-shit insane) Emperor Iseul and Mamoru, who had been sort of helpless for most of the book, comes out of nowhere to save Alcibiades by shooting his brother in the back with an arrow. He definitely Took a Level in Badass at that point.)
- "The punishment," Mamoru said, his face twisted in the dark, "for treason is death."
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Caius, dancing about Alcibiades' room, reading out Yana Berger's letter full of helpful hints of advice.)
- "Take very seriously your health, or else you will spout mushrooms from your ears and become like a mossy stone that has no rolling left to do."
- Pretty much everything involving Sarah Fleet is guaranteed to be hilarious.
- In Steelhands, Balfour's failed attempts at writing letters to Thom are brilliantly funny, especially as they get progressively worse. They get even funnier when Luvander starts reading them, of course:
"'I hope you will take this with the spirit it is intended when I tell you that in lower Charlotte they are singing a song about my-' Balfour! Really?"
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming If seeing Jerkass Rook quietly implore Havemercy to stay with him doesn't tug your heartstrings, you might be made of metal.
- Also, Thom digging Rook out of the sand.
- Rook seems to get a lot of these, even in Havemercy, where he's pretty much a flat out Jerkass. There's the moment when he finally admits that yes he does love his brother Thom, and that he's fighting for him as much as anything else. Then he allows Thom to look after him after his torture which Rook being Rook is quite a big deal, and then, to top it all off, after pretty much flat out saying he's leaving his brother and isn't coming back, he sits on the stairs and waits for him so they can travel together.
- In Steelhands, Raphael's return and the airmen's reaction to this certainly qualifies, partly because they are the last people you would expect a group hug from.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Most of the members of the Corps have experienced this in some way, though Balfour and Caius are the most glaring examples.
- Sarah Fleet is already shaping up to become one, as well.
- Fan Nickname: The fandom has fondly bestowed upon the authors the portmanteau name JaiDani.
- Jerk Ass Woobie: Rook. He loses his little brother, grows up in Molly, loses Havemercy and most of his friends in the Corps, painfully reconciles with his brother, and gets involved in a Government Conspiracy that almost kills him and his only surviving family member. All this while being such an insufferable little snot that you just want to reach into the book and strangle him.
- Moe: Hal is a male example: innocent, bookish, and one hell of a Nice Guy.
- Too Cool to Live: Havemercy dies in the attack on the Ke-Han capitol, though some part of her personality can still be found in Sarah Fleet.
- Wangst: Royston while stuck in Nevers. Lampshaded and possibly justified; he knows he's being stupid, but is too depressed and apathetic to do anything about his position.