- Colbert Bump: They received a boost in popularity for their song Cathode Ray Sunshine, included in Brütal Legend.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Provides quite a few, but perhaps most notably Punish My Heaven, which is widely regarded as one of the best Melodeath songs of all time.
- Face of the Band: Mikael Stanne, Niklas Sundin to some extent, although Martin Henriksson is the primary songwriter.
- Fandom Rivalry: Quite a few Dark Tranquillity fans dislike the other "Big Three" Melodeath bands (In Flames and At The Gates) for having supposedly sold out and become mainstream, while Dark Tranquillity stayed true to its roots.
- This is especially odd if you consider that the members of In Flames, At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity are all friends.
- Magnum Opus: The Gallery. Fiction and Construct are slowly creeping up as good contenders, however.
- Signature Song: "Punish My Heaven" could be one, either for The Gallery, the band, and probably Melodeath itself.
- Tear Jerker: "Lethe" from The Gallery. More melancholy-inducing than outright tear-wrenching, but it's still quite sad. "Blind at Heart" and "Misery's Crown" from Fiction. While "Misery's Crown" has a much more restrained, Know When to Fold 'Em feel, "Blind at Heart" can bring a tear to the eyes of an unprepared metalhead. "Auctioned" has a pretty sad feeling to it, Mikael sounds really sad in this song, the lyrics seem to tell a tale of a man who watched his life pass by and is regretting it.