YMMV tropes in this Fan Fiction include:
- Draco in Leather Pants: Averted. Azula's past is not whitewashed, and she isn't Easily Forgiven (nor is she a particularly good person until quite late in the game - her reasons for doing the right thing in most of Heart and Path are almost entirely selfish, though she does make progress).
- Foe Yay: Zhan Zheng for Azula.
- Magnificent Bastard —> Guile Hero: Azula. She shows she's still got it even before she's completely sane again. The creator did a mighty fine job remaking this aspect of her character as Azula manipulates others for her grand plans just like in the actual series.
- Tear Jerker:
- Azula knowing that, while she redeemed herself in the end, she can never forget that she's done horrible things.
- Azula, throughout Path of Fire and Soul of Fire, simply calls Ursa "mother". But at the end of Soul as she says goodbye she finally says, very softly, "Goodbye, Mom." as well as forgiving her.
- Uncanny Valley:
- Wei Ming is just off from normal human appearance and behaviour enough that she unnerves pretty much everyone she meets.
- Zhan Zheng's true form is of a handsome, androgynous human, with just enough of its features subtly off to make it deeply unnerving.