Web Animation: Ghost Motel
is a series of online Flash Point and Click Games
. Its main character, Joseph Winters, had just died, and because he was an atheist, he was unable to go to heaven but not evil enough to go to hell, so he ended up in the Spirit World
as a ghost.
Very quickly he came across bad spirits, or demons
. After finding out that demons eat humans, Joseph vows to become a demon hunter. Along the way, he meets Tabitha, a female ghost with blue hair
, and a former demon hunter named
His adventures take him through a new job, a circus, the underworld (the area where demons live), and a crash course in demon hunting that includes virtual reality training.
These games provide examples of:
- Artifact Title: The main characters leave the ghost motel at the start of episode 3, until episode 11 subverts this by having them return once more.
- Damsel in Distress: Tabitha. Also, Ahtibat's scheme is to eat one of these.
- The Everyman: Joseph Winters
- Evil Knockoff: Ahtibat, a demon created when Tabitha looked into a magic mirror.
- Genre Shift: Episode 8 is a side-scrolling platformer, while episode 9 is a completely non-interactive claymation video.
- Guide Dang It: Episode 6 gives you no indication that the color of the graffiti found throughout indicates the color of the correct symbol you need to enter to unlock a locked door.
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Out-of-Clothes Experience: Lampshaded by Joseph:
Joseph: Hey, how come neither of you told me that I was naked, and should wear something?
Tabitha: Because clothing is optional for ghosts. You don't have to wear clothes and you're not really naked. I'm sure you've seen other ghosts that don't wear clothes.
Joseph: But lots of ghosts wear clothes.
Tabitha: Clothing is more for decoration here. It's nice, but not necessary.
- The Power of Hate: Demons feed off people's negative "thoughtforms", or tangible manifestations of people's negative thoughts, to gain strength.
- The Power of Love: The weapons that ghosts use to fight off demons are powered by positive "thoughtforms", or tangible manifestations of people's positive thoughts.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Raymond Sellers, who wears all purple, has a pink car and is a former demon hunter.
- Retired Badass: Raymond Sellers used to be a demon hunter.
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay: Finding the correct tunnel in Episode 5, and guessing a random character's favorite flavour of ice cream as well as choosing Joseph's preferred weapon in the weapon shop in episode 10.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Tabitha