Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
is a Metroidvania-style
game developed by Fuelcell Games. The player assumes the role of an alien flying saucer
exploring an insanely twisted shadow planet
which has encapsulated the alien planet's sun.
The game is available on Steam
and X Box Live Arcade
- Asteroids Monster
- Blackout Basement: The Electrical area.
- Cue the Sun: The ending.
- Deflector Shield
- Down the Drain: The Ocean area with its incredibly annoying currents, and arguably the hardest to fully map out even with all items. Also, your standard blaster is severely weakened underwater.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Shadow Planet and its spawn.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: The final ship upgrade is a solar energy conduit capable of destroying the entire Shadow Planet. Which it does.
- Enemy Scan: Anything the player can interact with can be scanned, revealing what item needs to be used on it.
- Eternal Engine: The Mechanical and Electrical areas.
- Evil Evolves: The backstory of the Shadow Planet, seen by collecting artifacts.
- Evil Is Visceral: The larger shadow creatures and constructs, particularly the final boss.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The title is a pretty good indicator of the game's setting.
- Flying Saucer: The player's ship.
- All alien weaponry tropes from the 80s-90s are in full force. Your spacecraft is eventually armed with a blaster, lasers, a tractor beam, deflector shields, a manipulator claw, and missiles. The only odd one is the saw.
- Go for the Eye
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: The pincher arm and tractor beam both serve this purpose at various points.
- He Was Right There All Along: The big room with black tentacles and camera zoom out in the Organic region. Probably nothing, right?
- Insectoid Aliens
- Load-Bearing Boss: Defeating the final boss destroys the shadow planet.
- Malevolent Architecture: Naturally, given the name of the game.
- Plug 'n' Play Technology
- Puzzle Boss
- Swiss Army Weapon