- Creator Backlash: The script was originally written by Nancy Dowd, but went through a ton of rewrites by other writers. She hated the final product and demanded a pseudonym ("Rob Morton") for the credit.
- Enforced Method Acting: The director and some of the crew would wear period clothing on set, even while not filming, to help the actors get into the mood of the era.
- Romance on the Set - Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell first met while making this movie, and later
marriedentered into a long-term relationship.
- What Could Have Been: Kevin Costner was heavily sought-after for the role of Lucky, but was busy at the time.
- The film was originally meant to be a Jane Fonda vehicle and much more dramatic. After she declined the role, the movie was written in a more comedic light as recasting began.