Series: Murder In Small Town X
Murder in Small Town X was a one season reality/game show mystery where a group of contestants try to solve a grisly murder in a small fictional town in Maine, on the East Coast of the United States. Throughout each episode the contestants would go through clues but eventually two contestants would be sent off to two different locations, and one would retrieve the next clue while at the other location the other the killer would be waiting for them. Winner Angel Juarbe Jr., a New York City firefighter, died in the collapse of the World Trade Center only a week after the final episode was broadcast, which has probably accounted for a lack of any sequel, though the UK did see a different version in 2003 known as The Murder Game.
This show provides examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: The killer's motivation is understandable, if way way past the line of Disproportionate Retribution, and his/her death ends the show on a note of melancholy.
- Anyone Can Die: The point of the show, as the murderer can pick off any contestant.
- Butt Monkey: Kristen, one of the investigators/contestants, is perpetually sent by her peers to look for the killer's clue in hopes that she gets ambushed by the killer (she eventually did). Jeff, another investigator/contestant, especially had it out for her.
- Only once was she not sent out, at the discretion of the first investigator to be eliminated.
- Cult: One of the suspects has a cult full of people dressed in suits and who constantly sweep the sidewalks. When said suspect eventually gets killed, his followers go nuts and start burning and breaking everything.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot: It's practically impossible to deduce who the killer is because most of the truly incriminating evidence doesn't show up until the final episode.
- Kill the Cutie: Some of the killer's victims, including his/her first one Abby Flint.
- Maine Doubling: Sunrise, Maine is really Eastport, Maine.
- Point of View: You know the killer is near every time you see a POV shot through the night vision camera.
- Product Placement: In every scene at the main house, at least one investigator has a Taco Bell cup. Taco Bell was the show's major sponsor.
- Reality Show: A mix of reality and game show. The murders of course are fictionalized.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: We eventually find out that the killer's M.O is to avenge the murder of his/her family.
- Town with a Dark Secret
- Wrench Wench: Prudence Conner