A show that aired on UPN and later The CW. One of the longest-running sitcoms with a predominantly African American cast. For most of its run, it had the same main characters until Jill Marie Jones, the actress that played Toni left after the sixth season when her contract ended. It ran for 8 seasons until it was cancelled in early 2008, partly because of the writer's strike. Executive produced by, of all people, Kelsey Grammer.Not to be confused with the manga Girl Friends.
- Four Girl Ensemble
- Happily Adopted: Lynn
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Joan and Toni until the end of season 6
- Long Runner: Ran for 8 seasons from 2000 to early 2008.
- Mixed Ancestry: Lynn was half-black/half-white.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: had one for The Game in season 6.
- Put on a Bus: Toni after the end of season 6, she leaves town after a major rift in her friendship with Joan and to be closer to her ex husband whom she shares custody of her daughter with.
- Put on a Bus to Hell: The circumstance that she leaves certainly makes it come off as this. Interestingly, an episode discusses that while Joan may not be on good terms with Toni anymore, Maya and Lynn are still Toni's friends and share no such problem. They also call Joan out on trying to make it a problem in the first place.
- Running Gag: Toni regularly mispronounced Maya's son Jabari's name.
- Sassy Black Woman: All of the Girlfriends to various extents, but more so with Maya and Toni.
- Team Mom: Joan
- Your Cheating Heart: Maya, until her husband got wind of it.