West and Gordon come across a section of forest near the lands of the Bright Star tribe in which all the fruit-bearing vegetation has died. They also encounter a knight in shining armor and a group of thugs dressed in medieval European clothing; upon being taken captive, they find that Dr. Loveless is behind it all. He engineered a famine and then began supplying the tribespeople with food in order to make them loyal to him. Once in possession of these allies he intends to move on to bigger, eviller things...
Tropes present in this episode:
- The Big Board/Model Planning: Loveless creates an elaborate 3-D model of a town in his hideout, apparently just to have the pleasure of demonstrating in small-scale detail the wholesale destruction he intends to wreak on the world.
- Disguised in Drag: Artie poses as a Native American woman in order to rescue Jim.
- God Guise: Loveless pretends to serve a mysterious, powerful being called the Lord of the Forest, who appears as a large figure in medieval armor. Actually Loveless himself controls the suit from inside.
- Just Like Robin Hood: Loveless tries to pass himself off as a modern-day Robin Hood, costume, Merry Men and all, but his motives aren't so much "rob from the rich, give to the poor" as "take everything and keep it for myself."
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The tribesmen of Bright Star appear to value prowess in battle above all else; this is especially infuriating to Loveless, since they treat him dismissively due to his small stature. Jim eventually makes use of their beliefs to force Loveless into fighting a duel with him.