- "Hello, world. You don't deserve such beauty. But here I am anyway. Because I'm a giver."
- The Aggressive Drug Dealer: Subverted. Aggie, in her first encounter with Lisa, mistakes her for this and runs off. It turns out Lisa only wanted to share some tunes with her.
- All Men Are Perverts: Subverted in that Penny enjoys their gawking at her.
- Dress Code: Penny's, Sara's and Michelle's miniskirts fall afoul of the one at school.
- Jaded Washout: Penny's father, Rob.Penny: Why do we have to go [out to dinner] anyway?
Rob: Because families do things together. I don't know why. We just do.
- Kuudere: Penny in several strips, particularly one in which she describes herself as "too important to share any feelings with the likes of you."
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Penny in several strips. Despite Aggie's and others' perceptions of her for much of the comic, this is the closest Penny ever gets to the straight-up Alpha Bitch character trope, and that's still quite a way off.
- Mirror Monologue: Penny psyches herself up for the day while putting on her makeup (see page quote).
- New Year's Resolution: Aggie resolves to write a poem a day. However, she sets such ambitious goals for herself, in terms of form and rhyme scheme, that by the end of the week all she's written is: "A tree. / It be. / The End."
- Playing Sick: Penny attempts this when she gets a pimple on a school morning. Her father embarasses her into going to school when he notes she'd stuck the cat thermometer in her mouth.