: A character undergoes psychotically difficult training.
- Straight: Alice seeks out the training of the mighty Men-Tor. His training involves attacking her while she's off-guard and having her work out in strenuous situations.
- Men-Tor throws Alice at a mountain to make her stronger.
- Alice really does go to Hell for a time to make her stronger.
- Downplayed: The training course has some strenuous aspects but as a whole is not "hellish".
- Justified: Alice is going off to fight Emperor Evulz, who won't hesitate to kill her in battle. Therefore, her training needs to be just as hellish as the actual battle.
- Subverted: Alice is expecting a tough training session from Men-Tor, but he just makes her do something inconsequential and simple.
- Double Subverted: ...but that's just part one of the training. The second part is much more rough.
- Parodied: At the outset of the training, Men-Tor forces Alice to fill out a last will and testament. "Why's that?" "...No reason. Just some legal issue."
- Zig Zagged: Alice's training is simpler than you'd think...but it's just part one of the training. Part two is much rougher, but it isn't as bad as part three.
- Averted: The training is what you'd normally expect.
- "We need to show that this Men-Tor character has a few screws loose! Let's have him make Alice undergo some serious training!"
- "We need to show that what Alice is up against won't be easy, so she needs to train hard!"
- Lampshaded: "Why is this training so hard?!"
- Invoked: "Your enemies will not hesitate to kill you. If you don't find out during my training, you'll find out sometime."
- The intensity of the training has given Alice psychical or psychological weaknesses, which Evilz abuses.
- A murder is hidden in a training school. After all anyone would understand someone dying from that.
- Defied: Alice refuses to train any more until she's shown more respect, and it turns out that the Secret Test of Character was being confident enough to tell Men-Tor what an asshole he is.
- Discussed: "Wow, Men-Tor. You don't do things by halves, do you?"
- Conversed: Viewers complain that no one could even SURVIVE that training.
- Deconstructed: The hellish training doesn't make Alice any stronger. It does, however, injure her severely, potentially resulting in a Game-Breaking Injury that may or may not be permanent. As a result, Emperor Evulz succeeds in his plans to Take Over the World.
- The hellish training regimen serves to weed out those whose commitment is less than perfect. Sending in "heroes" with no real idea of what they're getting into is a good way to get a lot of the world's best and brightest killed. The real, less intensive training (relatively speaking) follows the brick wall entrance exam.
- The course is designed with input from doctors and other experts in sports medicine, with a medic and a psychiatrist constantly on standby to evaluate the trainees and pull them aside if anything goes wrong.
"As part of your Training from Hell
, you must go back to that page, and edit the entry using only your tongue."