: A college student can't afford food because everything else is expensive.
- Straight: Bob, a student at Tropeville State, has difficulty affording food, so he doesn't eat regularly.
- Exaggerated: Bob is only able to eat a couple times a month, and even then it's only something like ramen.
- Downplayed: Bob eats semi-regularly, but it's not very much and it's not very good quality.
- Justified: Bob is paying for his education out of pocket, which sadly doesn't leave much for food.
- Inverted: Bob has too much money and is hardly able to eat all the food he has.
- Subverted: Bob is seen eating a meal at a pretty decent restaurant, so he can't be doing that bad.
- Double Subverted: But later he's seen, stomach growling, wondering why he splurged like that.
- Parodied: Bob has to subsist on the fumes from the nearby bakery.
- Zig Zagged: His parents send him varying amounts of money - if they send him a decent check, he can eat pretty well, but a short check means plenty of ramen.
- Averted: Bob makes sure to budget enough for food, or has some means to get food for free.
- Enforced: They've already written Bob as coming from a poor family, or not having a family and supporting himself, so even if he can afford to go to school, he's going to struggle with affording everything else while he's there.
- Lampshaded: "Poor Bob. I feel sorry for him, but he'll never be hungry again after he gets that med school degree."
- Invoked: The heads of Tropeville State limit their students' finances to teach them adversity.
- Exploited: Alice, a wealthy student, uses Food As Bribe to get Bob to do her work while she goes out and parties.
- Defied: "(knock, knock) Sorry to bother you, man, but I'm starving. You have any food you don't want to eat?"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Laughs: Despite the food in the cafeteria being plentiful (and free), the students opt for starvation because it's just that bad.
- Played For Drama: Bob's focus and therefore grades begin to suffer because he's eating so little. He's kicked out of school, but can't get a good job because of his bad transcript, so he's still starving.
Back to Starving Student
. If I hadn't bought art supplies, I'd love to eat...