: Glasses used as a shorthand for a smart person.
- Straight: Bob, who is the smartest student in his class wears glasses.
- Exaggerated: Not just Bob wears them, all the doctors, scientists, and anyone who is highly educated has glasses.
- Downplayed: Bob is pretty smart, but aside from the glasses doesn't act like a Hollywood Nerd at all.
- Justified: Bob reads a lot, so he needs them or his eyesight will suffer.
- Bob is Book Dumb and wears glasses, while the much smarter characters don't.
- Bob is among the sharpest of the main cast and doesn't wear glasses, while anyone below average intelligence does.
- Subverted: Bob is the smartest in the class, and doesn't wear glasses...
- Double Subverted: Instead, it's revealed he has contacts, or doesn't like wearing them.
- Students are shown taking I.Q. tests. Those who score high are issued a pair of glasses by their teacher.
- Alternatively, those who score high all wear glasses.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Bob, who is of average intelligence wears glasses.
- Enforced: "We need to make Bob look smart! Show, Don't Tell!"
- Lampshaded: "For some reason everyone with glasses gives off an intelligent aura."
- Invoked: Bob wears glasses thinking that they will make him look smarter.
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob is the smartest in the class, however dislikes his status quo and doesn't wear his glasses that show how much he reads, doing so, his eyesight suffers and his grades go down.
Back to Smart People Wear Glasses