Playing With: Screw Destiny
: Character decides to go against their written fate.
- Straight: A prophecy says the world will be destroyed, the heroes decide to stop it.
- Exaggerated: The heroes go out of their way to prevent every single detail of the prophecy, regardless of how unrelated to the world ending they are.
- Downplayed: Heroes attempt to fulfill one prophecy over another.
- Justified: The heroes are Immune to Fate. Or the prophecy was actually a warning.
- Inverted: The heroes decide to fulfill the prophecy, Because Destiny Says So.
- Subverted: The heroes save the world, but it turns out they were only delaying the inevitable.
- Double Subverted: The inevitable won't be for millions of years.
- Parodied: "Screw you fortune cookie, I am no one's puppet!"
- Zig Zagged: Heroes attempt to save the world, only to doom it in the process, at which point a new, better world is born out of the ashes.
- Averted: Heroes fulfill a prophecy that they will save the world.
- Enforced: "We've been picked up for another season, so the prophecy we've been building to about the world ending can't come true now."
- Lampshaded: "Since when has anyone wanted to follow destiny?"
- Invoked: One of the characters made a fake prophecy about the world ending so the heroes would go on a quest to stop it.
- Exploited: Character uses heroes attempt to stop a prophecy to further their own ends.
- Defied: Heroes decide to just stay at home, as prophecies always turn out to be fake or misleading.
- Discussed: "Only idiots believe in destiny. A real man ignores mad oracles and false prophets, and forges his own destiny."
- Conversed: "In the ancient Greek and Norse myths, destiny was seen as sealed and inevitable. These days, however, characters who actively defy destiny are generally preferred and seen as more heroic."
- The heroes kill themselves to prove they control their actions instead of fate.
- Someone brings up the question: If destiny is a sham, doesn't that mean that none of us have a purpose?
- Reconstructed: The heroes decide even if the world's doomed anyway, they'd rather fight to their last breath than accept it.
Back to Screw Destiny