Playing With: Morning Sickness
Basic Trope: Nausea and vomiting during (especially) the first trimester of pregnancy, as a result of pregnancy-related hormones.
Back to Morning Sickness
- Straight: Alice misses her period, but it's her feeling nauseous first thing in the morning that tips her off before the pregnancy test does.
- Downplayed: Alice feels a little nauseous throughout her pregnancy, though not enough to drive her to the toilet.
- Alice's hormones are getting all wacky, and this is how her body reacts.
- In evolutionary terms, it may be nature's way of protecting the baby from toxins accidentally ingested by Alice.
- Alice finds out she's pregnant, and feels a little nauseous at one point, but that's as far as it goes.
- Alice feels nauseous while pregnant, but it's for another reason.
- Alice is faking a pregnancy (to get Bob to stay with her), and has made herself throw up to perpetuate the illusion.
- Alice vomits, but it's due to food poisoning rather than pregnancy.
- Double Subverted: But she vomits once or twice later, or experiences other types of pregnancy-related discomfort.
- Alice hasn't left the bathroom since the beginning of her pregnancy.
- Alice waterfall vomits constantly, like a nasty vomit-spewing fountain as soon as she finds out she's pregnant.
- Alice starts puking as soon as she's done having sex with Bob.
- Bob gets morning sickness, even though he isn't pregnant.
- Zig Zagged:
- Some pregnant women are constantly vomiting, some are only occasionally sick, some are nauseous but don't vomit, and some never have stomach trouble.
- Alice exhibits an Incurable Cough of Death for several episodes before the vomiting starts, as a Red Herring to make people attribute it to the fatal illness she obviously has. After The Reveal, she mentions the cough to the doctor, and he dismisses it as a cold.
- Averted: Alice doesn't experience stomach trouble.
- Enforced: Small Reference Pools, Truth in Television.
- Lampshaded: "You OK, Alice?"
- Invoked: Alice is pregnant, and Bob is cooking fish (which smells very strong to Alice).
- Exploited: ???
- Alice takes ginger-root capsules or other medication/herbal remedy that won't hurt the baby.
- Bob knows that strong smells (like grilling salmon) smell stronger to Alice than normal, and tries to avoid producing triggers.
- Alice has an abortion.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Implied: Alice is nauseous, but her pregnancy is not mentioned until later on.
- Played For Laughs: Alice running to find a place to throw up in... to The Benny Hill Show theme song.
- Played For Drama: Alice can't keep anything down, and she's dehydrated, which threatens her health and her pregnancy.
Back to Morning Sickness