: A couple that is sexually involved with one another, but not an Official Couple
- Straight: Alice and Bob have sex, and are good friends with one another, but not boyfriend and girlfriend.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob do nothing else together except have sex.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob flirt, and have made out on occasion, but they don't have sex, and they aren't together.
- Alice and/or Bob are involved with other people
- Alice and Bob want sex, but not necessarily to be tied down.
- Alice and Bob are going for a Relationship Upgrade. (YMMV as to whether they're going about it the right way or not.)
- Alice and Bob are in the mood, and trust each other.
- Subverted: Alice and Bob are attracted to one another, but the attraction is where it stops.
- Double Subverted: Until they have a little too much to drink at a party and end up in bed together.
- Parodied: Alice and Bob have had sex with all their friends.
- Zig Zagged Alice and Bob are attracted to one another, but the attraction is where it stops...Until they have a little too much to drink at a party and end up in bed together...Except that in a bizarre turn of events that somehow involves Bob's old T-Bird, a flamethrower, and an industrial-size crate of bran muffins, they had not, in fact, done the dirty deed.
- Enforced: They're teasing the shippers.
- Lampshaded: "Wait, they're not dating, but they still, like, do it?" "Yeah, like that one Ashton Kutcher movie."
- Invoked: Alice, unhappy in her relationship with Charles, is comforted (and ultimately seduced) by her friend Bob.
- Exploited: Bob and Alice stay friends with each other for the sex.
- Defied: Alice and Bob agree not to let raging hormones lead them to risk ruining their friendship
- Discussed: "You know, I always wondered if you'd be interested in-" "Not gonna happen."
- Conversed: "Oh come on. We all know that you'd have to be a friggin' sociopath to not get attached to your partner."
- Deconstructed: It can lead to all sorts of awkwardness, especially if one is falling in love with the other, who isn't interested.
- Reconstructed: Everyone is on the same page, and does not have any unrealistic expectations as to where this is (or may be) going. And who knows? It might become a real relationship with time anyway.
- Played For Laughs: What Did I Do Last Night?
Back to Friends with Benefits