Playing With: Flunky Boss
Basic Trope: A boss has minions to fight alongside them.
Back to Flunky Boss
- Straight: When Bob confronts Emperor Evulz, Evulz is assisted by his Elite Guards.
- The guards can summon their own minions.
- Evulz summons his entire army.
- Downplayed: There are only two or three guards.
- Justified: Evulz knows the value of strength in numbers.
- Bob can summon his own soldiers.
- When fighting Evulz, Bob summons his Red Shirt Army.
- The guards are the real bosses and Evulz is the minion.
- When Evulz shows up, he order his underlings to get lost.
- Subverted: The guards are just statues.
- Double Subverted: Which Evulz brings to life as his own personal minions.
- Parodied: Every time the heroes cut down a Mook, Evulz laments how much they cost... promptly before summoning another.
- Zig Zagged: Evulz and his minions constantly switch out in different phases.
- Averted: Evulz fights Bob one-on-one.
- Enforced: "How do we make the villain compete with a team without being too hard?"
- Lampshaded: "How many minions do you have?"
- Invoked: Evulz decided that, as a Big Bad, he needs minions to keep up his image.
- Defied: Bob surrounds himself and Evulz with a force field, cutting off the guards.
- Discussed: "Why can't we just have a fair fight, without your stupid minions?"
- Conversed: "Ever notice how the bad guy just sends in minions, instead of just fighting himself?"
- Deconstructed: The constant spawning of minions makes Evulz unnaturally hard and, as a result, makes the fandom hate him as That One Boss and as a Dirty Coward.
- Reconstructed: The developers meant for it to be like this, so his death is all the more satisfying.
- Played For Laughs:
- Everytime a minion is killed, Evulz creates another out of his life force. This only exhausts Evulz, as they are very easy to kill.
- When the player actually attacks Evulz, he goes down in one hit.
- Played For Drama: The heroes just killed several soldiers, with families and friends, just to defeat one guy. As they question their motives, Evulz gets away and/or succeeds in his plan.
Back to Flunky Boss