: The good guys are hampered by infighting.
- Straight: The Rival refuses to support The Hero's plan against the Dark Lord.
- Exaggerated: The Rival throws a fit over The Hero being given the only weapon that can be used against the Dark Lord when he's coming into the castle.
- Downplayed: Alice, Bob and Charlie can't agree on how to do their project, so they get an F.
- The Hero has not thought through his plan; The Rival sees legitimate flaws.
- The good guys don't have goals that precisely line up - certain details of the plan would further The Hero's goals but hinder The Rival's.
- The Rival is a jerk.
- Inverted: Enemy Civil War
- Subverted: The Rival is really The Mole and intentionally sabotaging it.
- Double Subverted: Except that The Mole framed him for it.
- Parodied: The good guys are hampered by infighting over the most petty things. Meanwhile the villains are hampered just as badly by far more serious concerns.
- Zig Zagged: The Hero never knows which allies will support him and which will sulk over his plan on any given day.
- Averted: The heroes all work together.
- Enforced: "The Hero's plan will work in five minutes — we need to drag this out for the rest of the episode — let's make his allies argue with him!"
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: The Quisling starts planting seeds of discord in the heroes' organization, so they become too fragmented to become a real threat to his master.
- Exploited: See Invoked... Bonus Points if the traitor also takes the change to try to convert The Rival to the Dark Lord's cause.
- Defied: For the purpose of defeating the Evil Overlord, The Hero and The Rival set aside their differences and work together as a single united team.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- They realize what they are doing and learn to work together.
- Or The Hero uses it to filter out those whose Pride will keep them from being good team players. It results in a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits.
Back to Divided We Fall