: Something wipes out large chunks of the human race.
- Straight: In the past, a virus wiped out 90% of the human race, leaving only the protagonists and a select few others.
- Exaggerated: After the virus hits, people start randomly disappearing and buildings suddenly become abandoned.
- Downplayed: They are not dead. They are just placed in a suspended coma for an indefinite period.
- Justified: That was the point of the virus. The heroes were just resilient.
- Inverted: The virus causes a sudden boost in population.
- Subverted: The government creates a near-lethal virus, then says that it only kill mosquitoes.
- Double Subverted: That was a cover story - they're only using the virus to kill dissidents.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- There is no virus.
- Alternatively, the virus doesn't depopulate the earth.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: A terrorist group creates the virus and unleashes it on the countries they hate most.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Doctors work around the clock and find a cure before it's too late.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: After the virus hits, humanity gets hit hard. All of the millions of essential personnel who disappeared will never return, meaning their skills will never be recreated. The basics of a society's infrastructure - like agriculture, farming, and construction - go unfulfilled, meaning society itself collapses.
- Reconstructed: The survivors have to learn to adapt - which is what happened in the past anyway.
Back to Depopulation Bomb