: Last minute, useless, thoughtless gifts.
- Straight: Bob forgets his and Alice's wedding anniversary. When he finally does remember, he drives to the nearest convenience store and picks out a pack of cigarettes and a gift bow.
- Did we mention that Alice just quit smoking a month ago?
- Or, even better, her father died last week from emphysema. Nice going, Bob.
- Downplayed: Bob goes to the convenience store, but does put in enough effort to pick something Alice can actually use.
- Justified: Bob forgot, left shopping until the very last minute, and it doesn't help that Alice is hard to buy for.
- Inverted: Bob goes to a high-end department store and picks out a necklace Alice had her eye on, even though there's no special occasion.
- Subverted: Bob gets Alice a gift certificate at the store.
- Double Subverted:
- The gift certificate is to a fast-food restaurant, and Alice doesn't eat fast-food.
- The gift certificate is to a store for plus-sized women, and Alice responds: "Do you think I'm fat?!"
- Parodied: The thoughtless gift results in a Toilet Seat Divorce.
- Zig Zagged: The presents at Alice's birthday party range from extremely well-thought-out to generic to useless and wildly inappropriate, depending on when the shopper remembered.
- Averted: Bob gets Alice something he knows she'd like.
- Enforced: Idiot Plot
- "What should I get her...? I know! Dental floss! Everyone loves dental floss!"
- "I know people say that's 'it's the thought that counts', but COME ON Bob! An expired bag of potato chips!? There isn't EVEN any THOUGHT on that!"
- Invoked: Bob catches sight of the calendar and notices that it's his and Alice's anniversary...and he has no gift for her!
- Exploited: The convenience stores know people look in them for gifts so they stock things people will like to get, like gift cards, chocolate and stuffed animals. Truth in Television.
- Defied: Bob doesn't put off shopping until the last minute, and pays attention so he can get a meaningful gift.
- Discussed: "It's nine o' clock on Christmas Eve, and the only place open is the Gas-and-Go. what you wanna bet I'm going to be reminded to pick up a present just about now?"
- Conversed: "Generic Sitcom reuses Bob getting Alice a lame present at the convenience store every season. You'd think they'd find a way to subvert it somehow."
- Deconstructed: Alice and Bob had a fight later on, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.
- Played For Laughs:
- Bob gives Alice the lawn gnome from their front lawn.
- Alice genuinely loved Bob's ultra lousy gift, and Bob is utterly embarrassed and mortified because he thinks her super-enthusiastic reaction is just her being super sarcastic about his blunder.
- Played For Drama: The thoughtless gift causes a big fight, and the possible end to the marriage unless Bob makes things right fast.
I hope you get me a real gift this time. Convenience Store Gift Shopping
is really getting old.