Zyklon was a Norwegian blackened death metal band formed in 1998 by Samoth and Trym of Emperor, along with former members of Myrkskog. Their style has been described as modern death metal with black and industrial undertones. After more than a 2 year hiatus, the band officially split up in January 2010.All the band's lyrics were written by former Emperor drummer Faust, then member of Casey Chaos' side project SCUM and Italian industrial black metal band Aborym.Despite Samoth having been in a previous Emperor side project called Zyklon-B, the two are not related; Zyklon B is the name of a lethal gas used by German Nazis; "Zyklon" is, according to Samoth, a play on the word "cyclone", since the word is spelled syklon in Norwegian. The cover of the band's album "Aeon" features an image of a tornado, also known as a cyclone.After they split up, Destructhor joined Morbid Angel.
- Secthdamon—vocals, bass (2001–2010)
- Samoth—guitar (2000–2010)
- Destructhor—guitar (2000–2010)
- Trym—drums (2000–2010)
- World ov Worms (2001)
- Aeon (2003)
- Disintegrate (2006)
The band displays the following tropes:
- Black Metal: Not surprising seeing as how Samoth and Trym were originally from Emperor
- Blackened Death Metal
- Early Installment Weirdness: World Ov Worms had a more blackened sound and was overall faster.
- Epic Rocking:
- From World ov Worms, "Hammer Revelation" and "Transcendental War: Battle Between Gods"
- Aeon gives us "An Eclectic Manner"
- Industrial Metal
- Lead Bassist: Secthdamon was a type B.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 9 to a solid 10. World ov Worms was on average a hard 10.
- New Sound Album: Aeon adapted more of the atmosphere of the emperor albums as well as borrowing touches from Morbid Angel and Red Harvest.
- Signature Style: Blackened Death Metal with an Industrial sound that focuses more on a violent sound and a dark atmosphere rather than outright brutality.
- Special Guest:
- This is what vocalist Daemon was on World, and Kristoffer Rygg delivers guest vocals on "Transcendental War: Battle Between Gods"
- Daemon came back for guest vocals on "Two Thousand Years", "The Prophetic Method", and "An Eclectic Manner", as well as Ofu Kahn of Red Harvest on "An Eclectic Manner".
- Start My Own: This band was the result of Emperor breaking up.